Calculating Length of Wire for Horseshoe Electromagnet

• Thread starter 215
  • Start date
In summary, the equation is (3.8+0.0130*n*315.385) + rest. If the wire is not uniformly wound, the equation becomes (3.8+0.0130*n*315.385)+rest.
I am trying to make an mathmatical equation which can calculate the length of the wire, which is wounded around a a horseshoe electromagnet.

The horseshoe magnet is 4.1 cm long, and 3.8 mm thick.
The thickness of the wire is 0.130mm

I know that the electromagnet need 1600 windings
Which mean that on each layer there can be 4.1/0.0130 = 315.385 winding.

Which means that for eachs 315.385 winding must the Diameter become 0.130mm thicker.. right?

So the equation must be
(3.8+0.0130*n*315.385) + rest

Where n is the numbers {n,0,5}

Would this equation also be true if the wire isn't uniformly wounded?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the every 315.385 winding calculation in principle, but I'm not sure if the .385 portion is really meaningful. You need to figure out how long the wound up wire is, which is slightly more than doing 315.385 circles around the magnet because you're moving along the magnet slowly as well (you can figure out how fast it moves up the magnet). In particular this is a function of how thick the magnet is and how thick the wire is. You know there are going to be 1600 windings so there are going to be 1600/315 = 5+ a little extra layers.

At this point, for each additional layer to find out how much wire is used to put down the wire, you need to use the thickness of the new layer.

If the wire is not uniformly wound, how are you envisioning it being wound around the magnet?

I would think that the rest is the most inportant, since it is the thickest layer, and therefor will length of the wire be greatest here..
What i mean about not being uniformly is that after the first layer, the windings will not be stacked nicely as it was during the first round, mostly because some areas are easier to wind that others, which makes each layer will not be stacked above each one, I assume most of them must cross the previuos layer line..

One thing it certain.. the windings number is constant..

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the length of wire needed for a horseshoe electromagnet?

The length of wire needed for a horseshoe electromagnet can be calculated using the formula L = (2 x n x r) + (2 x π x r), where L is the length of the wire in inches, n is the number of turns, and r is the radius of the horseshoe magnet in inches.

2. What is the importance of calculating the length of wire for a horseshoe electromagnet?

Calculating the length of wire is important for ensuring that the electromagnet has enough wire to produce a strong magnetic field. Using the correct length of wire will also prevent overheating and damage to the electromagnet.

3. How does the number of turns affect the length of wire needed for a horseshoe electromagnet?

The number of turns directly affects the length of wire needed for a horseshoe electromagnet. As the number of turns increases, the length of wire needed also increases. This is because more turns require more wire to complete the circuit and create a strong magnetic field.

4. Can the length of wire be adjusted for different sizes of horseshoe electromagnets?

Yes, the length of wire can be adjusted for different sizes of horseshoe electromagnets. The formula mentioned in the first question can be used to calculate the length of wire for any size of horseshoe electromagnet, as long as the radius and number of turns are known.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating the length of wire for a horseshoe electromagnet?

In addition to the number of turns and radius, the type and gauge of wire should also be taken into consideration when calculating the length of wire for a horseshoe electromagnet. Thicker wire will require less length compared to thinner wire to produce the same magnetic field strength.