Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r is a mathematical concept used in computer science and algorithm design to determine the minimum value of the sum of powers of 2 that is less than a given number r. It is calculated by finding the largest power of 2 that is less than or equal to r, and is important in algorithm design as it helps determine the best case efficiency of an algorithm and can be used to compare different algorithms. It can never be greater than r and is often used in conjunction with Big O notation to analyze algorithm efficiency.
jostpuur
Assume [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]r\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] are some fixed constants and [itex]r>0[/itex]. I want to find some nice lower bound for the amount of elements [itex](k_1,k_2,\ldots,k_n)\in\mathbb{N}^n[/itex] such that [itex]2^{k_1}+\cdots + 2^{k_n}\leq r[/itex].

In other words, if we define a function

[tex]
f:\mathbb{N}^n\to\mathbb{R},\quad f(k_1,\ldots, k_n)=2^{k_1}+\cdots + 2^{k_n}
[/tex]

I want to find some nice formula for a some reasonably large quantity [itex]\varphi(r,n)[/itex] such that

[tex]
\varphi(r,n)\leq \# f^{-1}([1,r])
[/tex]

where # means the number of elements in the set.

I tried to approximate some sums as integrals, but didn't get anywhere.

The special case [itex]n=1[/itex] easy. The number of elements [itex]2^0,2^1,2^2,\ldots[/itex] which are less than [itex]r[/itex] is

[tex]\Big[\frac{\log(r)}{\log(2)}\Big]+1[/tex]

where [itex]x\mapsto [x][/itex] is the floor function defined by [itex][x]=j\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex]j\leq x < j+1[/itex].

So if we want [itex]\varphi(r,1)[/itex] "nice", it could be made differentiable by setting

[tex]
\varphi(r,1) = \frac{\log(r)}{\log(2)}.
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem on this forum. This is an interesting question, and I believe there are a few different approaches that could be taken to find a nice lower bound for the number of elements satisfying the given conditions.

One possible approach is to use the fact that for any fixed n, the set of all possible combinations of n elements from the set \{0,1,\ldots,n\} is equal to 2^n. This means that the number of elements satisfying the given conditions can be no more than 2^n. Therefore, a simple lower bound for \varphi(r,n) could be 2^n.

Another approach could be to use the fact that for any given k\in\mathbb{N}, the set of all elements k_i satisfying 2^{k_i}\leq k is finite. This means that for any fixed r, there exists a largest value of n for which the number of elements satisfying the given conditions is less than or equal to r. This value of n can be found by solving the equation 2^n\leq r, which gives n=\log_2(r). Therefore, a lower bound for \varphi(r,n) could be \log_2(r).

I hope these ideas are helpful in finding a nice lower bound for the number of elements satisfying the given conditions. Good luck in your research!

1. What is the meaning of Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r?

The Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r is a mathematical concept used to find the minimum value of the sum of powers of 2 that is less than a given number r. It is often used in computer science and algorithm design to determine the efficiency of algorithms.

2. How is the Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r calculated?

The Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r is calculated by finding the largest power of 2 that is less than or equal to the given number r. This is done by continuously dividing r by 2 until the result is less than 1. The number of divisions performed is the value of k, which is then used to calculate the sum of 2^k.

3. What is the significance of the Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r in algorithm design?

The Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r is important in algorithm design because it helps determine the best case efficiency of an algorithm. It can be used to compare different algorithms and choose the most efficient one for a given problem.

4. Can the Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r be greater than the given number r?

No, the Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r can never be greater than the given number r. It is a lower bound, meaning it is the minimum possible value for the sum of powers of 2 that is less than r.

5. How is the Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r related to Big O notation?

The Lower Bound for Sum of 2^k Less Than r is often used in conjunction with Big O notation to analyze the efficiency of algorithms. The lower bound provides a best case scenario for the algorithm's efficiency, while the Big O notation provides an upper bound. Together, they give a range of possible efficiencies for the algorithm.