Phase change in lock-in amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a lock-in amplifier and adjusting the zero phase. The question is raised about whether it is normal for the phase to change during the experiment or if there is an issue with the amplifier. The speaker suggests looking at measuring techniques before concluding that the amplifier is not working as expected.
Mikech
I just started to use a lock-in amplifier, and I am trying to following the procedures by adjusting zero phase. But my input phase changes with time and sensitivity, and I couldn't lock in onto it. The question is, is this normal that phase changes all the time during the experiment or if there is something wrong with it?

here is some numbers

pre-amplifier sensitivity was set to 1e-5,1e-6,1e-7)
With lock-in amplifier sensitivity (1 mV), phase changes between ~ +170 through -170 degrees
With lock-in amplifier sensitivity (5 mV), phase changes between ~ +90 through -90 degress
With lock-in amplifier sensitivity (10 mV), phase changes between ~ +40 through -40 degrees

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, Mikech, and welcome to Physics Forums. :smile:

The phase difference varies with the gain of the error amplifier (sensitivity). That's how the PLL works. I'm not sure what you mean by time, but I'd look closely at your measuring techniques, before concluding that the arrangement is not working as advertised. :smile:

Obviously, the signal generator you are coupling to the circuit should not be affected by the circuit. You should use the input as reference (usually).

1. What is a lock-in amplifier and how does it work?

A lock-in amplifier is a type of electronic measurement instrument used to detect and measure small signals in the presence of high levels of noise. It uses a technique called phase-sensitive detection, which involves multiplying the input signal with a reference signal and then filtering out all other frequencies except the one of interest. This allows for accurate measurement of small signals even in noisy environments.

2. What is phase change in a lock-in amplifier?

Phase change in a lock-in amplifier refers to the shift in phase between the input signal and the reference signal. This shift can be caused by changes in the frequency or amplitude of the input signal, and it affects the accuracy of the measurement. The goal of a lock-in amplifier is to minimize phase change in order to obtain the most precise measurement possible.

3. How does phase change affect the measurement in a lock-in amplifier?

Phase change can affect the measurement in a lock-in amplifier by introducing errors in the measured signal. This is because the lock-in amplifier relies on the input and reference signals being in phase in order to accurately detect and measure the desired signal. Any shift in phase can result in a loss of signal or the introduction of noise, leading to inaccurate measurements.

4. How can phase change be minimized in a lock-in amplifier?

There are several ways to minimize phase change in a lock-in amplifier. One way is to use a stable frequency reference signal, such as a crystal oscillator, to ensure that the reference signal remains constant. Another way is to use high-quality components and precise calibration to reduce the chances of phase change. Additionally, proper shielding and grounding of the instrument can also help minimize external interference that could cause phase change.

5. Are there any limitations to using a lock-in amplifier for phase-sensitive measurements?

While lock-in amplifiers are highly effective for measuring small signals in noisy environments, they do have some limitations. They are typically limited to measuring signals at frequencies below 100 kHz, and more advanced models may have a higher frequency range. Additionally, they may not be suitable for measuring signals with rapidly changing frequencies or highly complex waveforms.