Understanding the Confusion: Watts vs. Watts per Hour?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Watts
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of watts and how it is measured. The topic of watts per hour is brought up, with the conclusion that it is not a valid unit. The conversation also mentions the difference between kilowatt hours and joules, and the correct way to express energy consumption in electricity bills. There is also a mention of incorrect assumptions and a clarification of units.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I thought watts was defined as J/sec . So how can something be rated in watts/hour? Doesnt that mean Joules per second per hour?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you seeing this? You sure it isn't watt-hours (w * h)? A watt-hour is a joule per second of power - for an hour.

I've never heard of anything rated in W/hr. Your electricity meter shows your energy consumption in kWh (kilowatt hours), which would be Jh/s. So clearly one kWh = 3600 J (I hope I did that right). Are you sure the Watts and hours were not being multiplied in the example you saw?

edit: russ was quicker on the draw.

I thought like, your electricity bill is measured in KW/H... is it suppose to be KW*h?? I don't have it written down anywhere, i just always remembered electricity as being generated as KW/H... have i just been living with a bad assumption for these past few years lol

lol oh man, so I've been remembering and writing it down incorrectly? lol oh man... I am an idiot.

So 1 KWh, the thing your billed for... is 3.6MJ?

And it seems I forgot about the "kilo" in my post :redface:

Ah beautiful, now my calculations will make more sense.

There's no physical quantity which would have the (SI) units [itex] \frac{\mbox{W}}{\mbox{s}} [/itex].It would be the rate of variation of power (electrical or mechanical) in unit time,but no one asserted a name to it.

Daniel.

1. What is the definition of watts in scientific terms?

Watts is a unit of measurement for power, defined as one joule of energy transferred per second. It is commonly used to measure the rate at which energy is consumed or produced.

2. What is the relationship between watts and joules?

Watts is defined as joules per second, meaning it is a measurement of energy per unit time. In other words, watts measure the rate at which energy is transferred, while joules measure the total amount of energy.

3. How is the watt unit used in everyday life?

The watt unit is commonly used to measure the power consumption of household appliances, light bulbs, and electronic devices. It is also used in industries to measure the power output of machines and equipment.

4. Why is the watt unit important in science?

The watt unit is important in science because it allows us to quantify the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. This is essential in understanding various natural phenomena, as well as in the development of new technologies.

5. Can watts be converted to other units of power?

Yes, watts can be converted to other units of power such as horsepower, kilowatts, and BTUs per hour. The conversion factor depends on the specific unit of power being converted to and can be easily found through online conversion tools or reference materials.