Can Eddy Current Dampers Be Used to Add Damping to Small Mechanical Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to add damping to a mechanical motion platform, with the use of phosphor-bronze springs and a possible solution of using a plate in a viscous fluid. The question is asked if there is a simpler way to add damping, and the suggestion of using an eddy current damper is given. This is a non-contact solution that can easily be adjusted.
CharleyK
Hello,

I have a mechanical motion platform. It's only about 8 grams and about 5x5x5 cm.
I'm a bit worried about the natural frequency and I want to mechanically damp it to slightly under-damped. I'm using phosphor-bronze for my spring elements, I'm not sure how much damping is intrinsic to phosphor-bronze though.

Since this is all very small, I can't really make my own custom dashpot. I was thinking of just sticking a beam with a plate in some bucket with viscous fluid. It sort of looks like a dashpot, but without a tightly fit piston, but just a plate. I can't find anything on make such a device though. I could get the drag coefficient of a plate and the density of the fluid and calculate the drag force, but I don't think I can estimate the damping ratio from that.

So my question is; Is there a simple way to add some damping to a mechanical system? It has to be very simple to be manufactured and fitted on the platform. It can be some plate in a viscous fluid or some other concept. I can elaborate more on the platform is necessary.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bobbywhy said:
Search using the terms "eddy current damper". For a start, check this Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_damping

Wow that's nice, really easy to adjust an non-contact, awesome.

Thanks!

1. What is a custom-made micro damper?

A custom-made micro damper is a type of damping device that is specifically designed and manufactured to fit the unique needs and specifications of a particular application or system. It is typically much smaller in size than traditional dampers and is used to control and reduce vibrations, shocks, or oscillations in small-scale systems.

2. How does a custom-made micro damper work?

A custom-made micro damper works by using specialized materials and designs to absorb and dissipate energy from vibrations or shocks. This is typically achieved through the use of viscoelastic materials, such as rubber or silicone, which have the ability to deform and absorb energy when subjected to vibrations.

3. What are the benefits of using a custom-made micro damper?

Some of the main benefits of using a custom-made micro damper include improved system stability, reduced vibrations and noise, increased product lifespan, and enhanced overall performance. It can also help to protect delicate components from damage due to excessive vibrations or shocks.

4. How is a custom-made micro damper different from a standard damper?

A custom-made micro damper differs from a standard damper in several ways. Firstly, it is much smaller in size and can be tailored to fit specific space constraints. It also uses specialized materials and designs that are not typically found in standard dampers. Additionally, a custom-made micro damper is designed for a specific application, whereas a standard damper is more general in its use.

5. Can a custom-made micro damper be used in different industries or applications?

Yes, a custom-made micro damper can be used in various industries and applications, including automotive, aerospace, medical, and consumer electronics. It can be designed to meet the unique requirements of each industry and can be used to control vibrations and shocks in a wide range of systems and products.