Why Does Planck's Law Assume Oscillator Energy Applies to Electromagnetic Modes?

In summary: This results in Planck's law, which accurately describes the energy distribution of electromagnetic waves in a resonating cavity at a given temperature.
dEdt
The derivation of Planck's law in my textbook begins with the assumption that the energy of an oscillator with frequency ##\nu## is quantised in units of ##h\nu##. It follows that the average energy of such an oscillator (in equilibrium with a reservoir at temperature ##T##) will be
[tex]<E>=\frac{h\nu}{e^{h\nu/kT}-1}.[/tex]

Then, the textbook asserts that the average energy of a mode of electromagnetic radiation with frequency ##\nu## will be the same, and I don't see why this should be true.

Physics news on Phys.org
dEdt said:
The derivation of Planck's law in my textbook begins with the assumption that the energy of an oscillator with frequency ##\nu## is quantised in units of ##h\nu##. It follows that the average energy of such an oscillator (in equilibrium with a reservoir at temperature ##T##) will be
[tex]<E>=\frac{h\nu}{e^{h\nu/kT}-1}.[/tex]

Then, the textbook asserts that the average energy of a mode of electromagnetic radiation with frequency ##\nu## will be the same, and I don't see why this should be true.
I think they are just saying that electromagnetic radiation in a resonating (black-body) cavity at temperature T behaves in a way that is analogous to the quantum oscillator: ie. the distribution of energies of electromagnetic waves inside the resonating cavity is given by Planck's law.

AM

1. What is Planck's law derivation?

Planck's law derivation is a mathematical derivation that explains the relationship between the energy of a photon and its wavelength. It was developed by physicist Max Planck to explain the spectrum of light emitted by a blackbody at different temperatures.

2. How was Planck's law derived?

Planck's law was derived using statistical mechanics and the principles of thermodynamics. Planck used mathematical equations to describe the emission of electromagnetic radiation from a blackbody, taking into account the temperature and energy of the photons being emitted.

3. Why is Planck's law important?

Planck's law is important because it laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic level. It also helped to explain various phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and the spectrum of light emitted by stars.

4. What are the applications of Planck's law?

Planck's law has many applications in physics and engineering, including the development of new technologies such as solar cells and infrared detectors. It is also used to study the properties of materials and to understand the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.

5. Is Planck's law derivation still relevant today?

Yes, Planck's law derivation is still relevant today as it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in many modern technologies. It continues to be studied and applied in various fields of science and engineering.