(Eulerian) Velocity of an elementary vector

In summary, the article claims that the material derivative of a vector field is given by D_t \vec{A}=\partial_t \vec{A}+\vec{v}\cdot \vec{\nabla}\vec{A}.
trabo
Hello everyone,

In order to define the eulerian rate deformation tensor, one should first express [itex]\dfrac{d}{dt}(\underline{dx})[/itex] in gradient velocity terms (denoted [itex]\underline{\nabla v}[/itex] with [itex]v[/itex] equal to the partial time derivative of the geometrical mapping that relates the inital configuration to the current one).
In an article, we claim that
[itex]\dfrac{d}{dt}(\underline{dx})=v(\underline{x}+\underline{dx},t)-v(\underline{x},t)[/itex] (1)​
and thus
[itex]\dfrac{d}{dt}(\underline{dx})[/itex][itex]=\underline{\nabla v} . \underline{dx}[/itex]​
I'm not sure about (1). It says actually that
[itex]\dfrac{d}{dt}(\underline{x} +\underline{dx}-\underline{x})[/itex] [itex]=\dfrac{d}{dt}(\underline{x} +\underline{dx})-\dfrac{d}{dt}(\underline{x} )[/itex]​
I can't see that clearly though. Is there any physical explanation ? May be an approximation since we're dealing with elementary vectors...

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
The material time derivative of an arbitrari vector field is derived as follows: In a little time increment [itex]\mathrm{d}t[/itex] on the one hand the vector field changes due to its own time dependence, [itex]\mathrm{d} t \partial_t \vec{A}[/itex]. On the other hand, the fluid element that was at position [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] at time [itex]t[/itex], will have moved by [itex]\mathrm{d} \vec{x}=\mathrm{d}t \vec{v}[/itex]. So the material time derivative is given by
[tex]\mathrm{D}_t \vec{A}=\partial_t \vec{A}+(\vec{v}\cdot \nabla)\vec{A}.[/tex]

Thanks for the reply.

The expression that I know for the material derivative of a vector (and in general a tensor of any order) [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is
[itex]D_t \vec{A} = \dfrac{\partial \vec{A}}{ \partial t} + \nabla \vec{A} .\underline{v} [/itex]​
Anyhow, a way of seing the equality is :
[itex]\dfrac{d}{dt} (dx)=dv [/itex]​
that is adimitting that
[itex]\dfrac{d}{dt dv} (dx)=\dfrac{d^2 x}{dt dv}=\dfrac{d}{dv}\Big ( \dfrac{dx}{dt}\Big) =1 [/itex]​
but I can't tell why is it peculiar to the eulerian description.

I'm not so sure what your notation in the 2nd term of the material time derivative should mean. As derived in my previous posting, the correct expression in usual nabla-calculus notation is
[tex]\mathrm{D}_t \vec{A}=\partial_t \vec{A} + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{A}.[/tex]
In component-Ricci calculus notation, including Einstein-summation notation and strictly distinguishing co- and contravariant components (which is very useful also for Cartesian components as here!) what's meant is
[tex](\mathrm{D}_t A^{j})=\partial_t A^j + v^k \partial_k A^j.[/tex]
Note that
[tex]\partial_k = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}.[/tex]

Yes this is what I meant too, it was just a matter of notation. But as you notice, there is no velocity gradient in the material derivative of dx, whereas it is stated that [itex]\dfrac{d}{dt} (dx)=\nabla v . dx [/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of Eulerian velocity?

Eulerian velocity is the velocity of a fluid particle at a specific point in space and time. It is a vector quantity that describes the speed and direction of the fluid flow at that point.

2. How is Eulerian velocity different from Lagrangian velocity?

Eulerian velocity is measured at a specific point in space and time, while Lagrangian velocity is measured along the trajectory of a fluid particle. In other words, Eulerian velocity is a fixed reference frame, while Lagrangian velocity is a moving reference frame.

3. What are the units of Eulerian velocity?

Eulerian velocity is typically measured in units of meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).

4. How is Eulerian velocity calculated?

Eulerian velocity can be calculated by taking the partial derivative of the fluid velocity with respect to time at a fixed point in space. It can also be calculated by taking the dot product of the fluid velocity and the unit vector in the direction of interest at that point.

5. What is the significance of Eulerian velocity in fluid dynamics?

Eulerian velocity is an important concept in fluid dynamics as it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of fluids in motion. It is used to study various phenomena such as turbulence, vortices, and flow patterns, and is essential in the development of equations and models for fluid flow.