Green's First Identity involving Electric Potential

In summary: From here, it's just a matter of using the Divergence theorem to obtain:$$\oint_{\partial\Omega} \phi(\nabla\phi\cdot{\bf{n}})dS=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}\frac{\partial{\Phi}}{\partial{n}}$$In summary, I was trying to work through a paper that involved some slightly unfamiliar vector calculus, as well as many omitted steps. It began with the potential energy due to an electric field, familiarly expressed as: U_{el} = \frac{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}{2} \iiint_VE^
Parmenides
I am attempting to work through a paper that involves some slightly unfamiliar vector calculus, as well as many omitted steps. It begins with the potential energy due to an electric field, familiarly expressed as:
[tex]
U_{el} = \frac{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}{2} \iiint_VE^2dV = \frac{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}{2} \iiint_V(\nabla{\Phi})^2dV
[/tex]
I am not quite sure as to the expression for a squared gradient, but I worked from using ##\nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi) = (\nabla\Phi)^2 + \Phi\nabla^2\Phi## so that ##(\nabla\Phi)^2 = \nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi) - \Phi\nabla^2\Phi##. Now, I can rewrite ##U_{el}## as:
[tex]
U_{el} = \frac{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}{2}\Big[\iiint_V\nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi)dV - \iiint_V\Phi\nabla^2\Phi{dV}\Big]
[/tex]
I recognize the presence of Poisson's equation in the second term, but as for the first? This is where I am stuck. I am supposed to use these expressions together with the Divergence theorem so that I can invoke Green's first identity:
[tex]
\int_{\Omega}(\psi\nabla^2\phi + \nabla\phi\cdot\nabla\psi)dV = \oint_{\Omega}\psi(\nabla\phi\cdot{\bf{n}})dS
[/tex]
For two scalar functions ##\psi## and ##\phi##. Ultimately, I need to arrive at the expression:
[tex]
U_{el} = \frac{1}{2}\oint_S\sigma\phi_0dS + \frac{1}{2}\iiint_V\rho\Phi{dV}
[/tex]
Using Poisson's equation ##\nabla^2\Phi = -\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}## and ##\sigma = -{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}\frac{\partial{\Phi}}{\partial{n}}## and using the fact that ##\phi_0## is the potential at the surface.

But I do not have any dot products associated with what I did above and so I do not see how to proceed; the only way I see how this could work is understanding that there is really only one scalar function here instead of two, namely ##\Phi##, but I don't see this allowing me to make ##\nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi) = \nabla\Phi\cdot\nabla\Phi##. Am I forgetting something simple?

Physics news on Phys.org
You...you are right there to solving it. You already showed that ##\nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi)=(\nabla\Phi)^2+\Phi\nabla^2\Phi##

So I think the only point you're stuck on should be: ##(\nabla\Phi)^2=\nabla\Phi\cdot\nabla\Phi##

Can you do it from here?

Maybe a slightly bigger hint. I can rewrite Green's identity, if ##\phi=\psi## as such:

$$\int_\Omega (\psi\nabla^2\phi+\nabla\phi\cdot\nabla\psi)dV=\int_\Omega (\phi\nabla^2\phi+\nabla\phi\cdot\nabla\phi)dV=\int_\Omega \nabla(\phi\nabla\phi) dV=\oint_{\partial\Omega} \phi(\nabla\phi\cdot{\bf{n}})dS$$

Last edited:

1. What is Green's First Identity involving Electric Potential?

Green's First Identity is a mathematical equation that relates the electric potential at a point in a region to the value of the electric field at that point. It is a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism and is often used to solve problems involving electric potential and electric fields.

2. How is Green's First Identity derived?

Green's First Identity is derived from the fundamental theorem of calculus and the divergence theorem. It states that the integral of the dot product of the electric field and the normal vector over a closed surface is equal to the integral of the electric potential over the volume enclosed by that surface.

3. What is the significance of Green's First Identity in physics?

Green's First Identity is an important tool in solving problems involving electric potential and electric fields. It allows us to relate the electric potential at a point to the electric field at that point, which is essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles and the flow of electricity in a circuit.

4. Can Green's First Identity be applied to all situations involving electric potential?

Green's First Identity can be applied to situations where the electric potential is a continuous function and the electric field is well-behaved. It is also applicable in cases where the electric field is not conservative, such as in the presence of changing magnetic fields.

5. How is Green's First Identity used in practical applications?

Green's First Identity is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, the study of electric fields in materials, and the analysis of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving problems involving electric potential and electric fields.