TEC Heater/Cooler - Can It Be Done?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the thermodynamic principle of the conservation of energy would prevent the device from working.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Hey guys i hve been wondering about something for the longest time. If you created 2 compartments and a TEC in the middle and sealed both sides off from one another, would you be able to create a heater/cooler device in one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone lol?

Just so you don't feel lonely in here, I'll ask the obligatory dumb question: what is "TEC" an abbreviation for?

Thermo-electric cooler(TEC). The answer is maybe. For a peltier to work properly a sink must be used. If you want to use a peltier to heat something then you need to have a substance from which a heat flux will flow from. If you want to use the peltier as a cooler then you need to remove the excess heat from the heated side. So, for you device to work you'd need something cold that needs to be heated up in one compartment and something warm that needs to be cooled(theses already exist BTW---igloo used to make something similar).

Have you had a thermodynamics class? Essentially, a peltier is a heat pump but instead of a motor driven pump moving a working fluid you have an electron flow driven by a difference in voltage.

Yah i understand how it works but i was wondering what the result would be if the same temperature was on both sides. I was wondering if they would go to the delta T naturally. Was thinking it would "strip" heat away from the cold side and put it into the hot side. The thing is though that at times, the box would be empty (no hot/cold food or soda in there) so i was wondering if the hot side would start heating up too high or if the current would shut down until something was introduced or what.

Maybe if i push out heat from the hot compartment 24/7, the cold side would stay cold and the hotside wouldn't get outa control.

1. What is a TEC heater/cooler and how does it work?

A TEC (Thermoelectric Cooler) heater/cooler is a device that uses the Peltier effect to transfer heat. The Peltier effect is the phenomenon where heat is absorbed or released at the junction of two different materials when an electrical current is passed through them. In a TEC heater/cooler, electrical current is used to create a temperature difference between the two junctions, which results in one side of the device becoming hot and the other side becoming cold. This allows for heating and cooling capabilities.

2. Can a TEC heater/cooler be used in both heating and cooling applications?

Yes, a TEC heater/cooler can be used for both heating and cooling purposes. By simply reversing the direction of the electrical current, the hot and cold sides of the device can be switched, allowing for the desired temperature change.

3. What are the advantages of using a TEC heater/cooler over traditional heating and cooling methods?

TEC heater/coolers offer several advantages over traditional methods. They are compact, lightweight, and have no moving parts, making them more durable and less prone to mechanical failure. They also have precise temperature control, fast response times, and can be used for both heating and cooling, making them versatile for various applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using a TEC heater/cooler?

One limitation of using a TEC heater/cooler is its efficiency. TEC devices typically have low efficiency and consume a significant amount of power compared to other heating and cooling methods. They are also limited in the amount of heat they can transfer, making them more suitable for smaller scale applications.

5. What are some common applications of TEC heater/cooler?

TEC heater/coolers have a wide range of applications in industries such as electronics, medical devices, and aerospace. They are commonly used for temperature control in electronics and computer systems, as well as for cooling and heating in medical devices such as laser systems and laboratory equipment. They can also be found in thermal cameras and spacecraft thermal control systems.