Betting on a Record Cold Winter: What's the Forecast?

In summary, betting on a record cold winter is a risky endeavor as forecasting the weather is unpredictable. However, some experts foresee a colder than average winter due to a weak El Niño and low solar activity. This could have significant impacts on industries such as energy and agriculture, but ultimately, the accuracy of winter weather predictions remains uncertain.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The british press are forcasting a record cold winter, and a major betting
company have slashed the odds for this. what are they basing their predictions
on ?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I have no idea but I just read a prediction that winter in the U.S. will be mild. (http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/05/10/13/100wir_weather001.cfm )

Of course, we can always turn to the Old Farmer's Almanac! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, but the same was forecast last year, and that didn't really pan out.

Edit- Are you sure you're looking at up to date articles? I did a quick google search, and the only articles I saw were from this time last year. The articles say the forecasts were made by metcheck.com, and the met office didn't hold a lot faith in their predictions, saying that such long range forecasts are exremely inaccurate (as proved by the mild and largely snowless winter that followed).

Last edited:
matthyaouw said:
I don't know, but the same was forecast last year, and that didn't really pan out.
Edit- Are you sure you're looking at up to date articles? I did a quick google search, and the only articles I saw were from this time last year. The articles say the forecasts were made by metcheck.com, and the met office didn't hold a lot faith in their predictions, saying that such long range forecasts are exremely inaccurate (as proved by the mild and largely snowless winter that followed).

Yes i have the right date, it is mostly about energy shotage, and power cuts,
and how ladbrooks have slashed the odds for a record breaking winter.
an article in the daily express.

wolram said:

"Last Updated: Wednesday, 13 October, 2004, 16:33 GMT 17:33 UK "

I'll keep a lookout for any recent articles. I looked on metcheck's website, and couldn't see any really long range forcasts, never mind info on how they do them.

matthyaouw said:
"Last Updated: Wednesday, 13 October, 2004, 16:33 GMT 17:33 UK "
I'll keep a lookout for any recent articles. I looked on metcheck's website, and couldn't see any really long range forcasts, never mind info on how they do them.

OOps, the news paper article is 2005 though.

I just caught the story on the news. It said they use the http://www.oceansatlas.org/servlet/CDSServlet?status=ND0xMjczNSZjdG5faW5mb192aWV3X3NpemU9Y3RuX2luZm9fdmlld19mdWxsJjY9ZW4mMzM9KiYzNz1rb3M~ for their long term forcasting, and with its behaviour this year, we could be in for a cold one.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What factors contribute to a record cold winter?

There are several factors that can contribute to a record cold winter, including changes in global climate patterns, the presence of an Arctic oscillation, and changes in the jet stream. These factors can all impact the amount of cold air that is brought down from the Arctic and into regions that typically experience colder temperatures during the winter months.

2. How accurate are long-term winter weather forecasts?

Long-term winter weather forecasts can be difficult to accurately predict due to the complexity of the Earth's climate system. While meteorologists and scientists use advanced models and data to make these forecasts, there is always a margin of error and unexpected changes in weather patterns can impact the accuracy of these predictions.

3. What regions are most likely to experience record cold temperatures?

The regions most likely to experience record cold temperatures during a winter season are typically those that are located further north, closer to the Arctic. This is because they are more directly impacted by changes in Arctic climate patterns and the movement of cold air from the north.

4. How does betting on a record cold winter impact climate change?

Betting on a record cold winter does not impact climate change in any significant way. Climate change is a long-term trend that is not easily influenced by short-term weather events. While a record cold winter may occur, it does not negate the overall trend of warming temperatures and other impacts of climate change.

5. What are the potential consequences of a record cold winter?

A record cold winter can have a range of consequences, including impacts on agriculture, transportation, and energy usage. It can also increase the risk of extreme weather events such as blizzards and ice storms. Additionally, it can impact human health by increasing the risk of cold-related illnesses and injuries.