Brings tears to my eyes - in the good way

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary, Scorned Woman Hot Sauce is a yummy, garlic-laced sauce that is new to many people. It is also among the hottest sauces on the market.
Wow, I think Red Hot has always been a staple in my kitchen. Like Tom said, you can use it like ketchup. I think it's one of the milder sauces out. Nice flavor though.

Danger, there's an actual taste receptor for capsaicin, the stuff that makes hot stuff hot. Animals that don't have the receptor for it can eat it all day and never have a problem. I guess some of us have downregulated our receptors more than others.

I don't have a clue what the maximum "safe" level would be, but I'm pretty sure pharmaceutical grade, crystalline capsaicin would be dangerous. I'm surprised they're even allowed to sell it without a license or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I used to live in Ballston Spa
I can't believe that you left a place with a name like that.

Thanks for the info, Moonbear.

Moonbear said:
Wow, I think Red Hot has always been a staple in my kitchen. Like Tom said, you can use it like ketchup. I think it's one of the milder sauces out. Nice flavor though.
Yes, it's mild, I use it for the flavor. When I lived in Texas I would come home from work and eat a plate of stuffed jalapenos for a snack. I put jalapenos on everything, hotsauce on everything. You do get used to it.

Then when I moved up north (before Mexican and other hot cuisines became trendy) I hardly ever got to eat jalapenos. My mother used to send me cans of them because you couldn't buy them in the stores there. I lost my tolerance to them. Now I'm a wimp. :redface: I prefer flavor to heat now.

wow, would you believe that i read this whole thread earlier... and i didn't understand what the title meant... d'oh! i thought like... you know when you cry cause you're happy? i thought that's what MIH meant, and i was like, man... i like hot sauce, but not THAT much! but i just now realized that its so hot it makes her eyes water! wow...

my dad says "if it doesn't make me cry, it aint hot enough." its so funny watching him eat mexican food, (his family is mexican..) cause his face gets so red and his eyes water up, and we're like wow... he's going to kill himself. but he's always real pleased in the end...

Evo said:
When I lived in Texas I would come home from work and eat a plate of stuffed jalapenos for a snack. I put jalapenos on everything, hotsauce on everything. You do get used to it.
Same here.

The wife of my roommate introduced me to jalapeños with raspberry jam and cream cheese. And then I have found jalapeño-raspberry jam which is really good.

And one of my favoriter meals was the 'Double Death Burger' - two quarter pound patties marinaded in tobasco sauce and jalapeño juice, and cooked and served with chopped jalapeños, with lettuce and tomato.

Regarding Frank's Red Hot - and Tom's comment "I use that stuff like some people use ketchup."

Hey Frank's Red Hot is ketchup as far as I'm concerned. Too mild. :biggrin:

Now I have to get bottles of Ultimate Insanity and Blair's 16 Million Reserve (although one place want $249.95 for it), but I might have to settle for Blair's 6 am.

But this looks interesting "The Embrace!(Adam&Eve Hot Sauce)" -

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1866_36868424

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
ooohweee..I so love this stuff!
Scorned Woman Hot Sauce
http://store1.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1866_28001317
I like Tabasco and Red Rooster sauce,too.
What else is good?

That's awesome!

Moonbear said:
I don't have a clue what the maximum "safe" level would be, but I'm pretty sure pharmaceutical grade, crystalline capsaicin would be dangerous. I'm surprised they're even allowed to sell it without a license or something.
Published rodent LD50 values (this is the dose it takes to kill 50% of the animals in a test) are around 190 mg/kg. Take your average 200 lb male= 90 kg, and you would need 17.1 g to hit this dose level. This is roughly equivalent to the total mass in 48 tablets of advil, which is a fair amount of compound and would likely not fit in the vial I have seen in the pictures (1 ml of water is only 1.0 g). Of course if you factor in the 10X safety margin for extrapolating rodent data to humans then you're getting kinda' close. However I doubt they could legally sell something like this and have it be potentially deadly, although here is a disclaimer I found on http://www.tastethepain.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product333.html" selling the Blaire's 16. BTW the price ranges from $200 to $230.
1. Due to the extremely hot nature of this product (up to 16,000,000 scoville units), I agree that 16 Million Reserve shall be used only as a food additive. This products can cause serious injury if directly consumed, ingested and/or applied to the eyes, or any other bodily organs.
2. 16 Million Reserve is to be used at my own risk, and I fully understand the potential danger if handled improperly.
3. If I give this product as a gift, I will make the recipient fully aware of the potential danger if handled improperly, or directly consumed.
4. I hereby disclaim, release, and relinquish any and all claims, actions and/or lawsuits that I, or any of my dependents, heirs, or family members may have relating to any damage and/or injury that results, or is alleged to have resulted, from the use, consumption, ingestion, and/or contact of any bodily part or organ of or from 16 Million Reserve.
5. I am not inebriated, and I am fully able to make a sound decision about the purchase if these products.
Evo said:
I used to live in Ballston Spa, kind of between Clifton Park and Saratoga Springs.
I can't remember if we talked about this before, but I lived in Clifton Park for about a year. The commute through the Twin Bridges was too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Due to the extremely hot nature of this product (up to 16,000,000 scoville units), I agree that 16 Million Reserve shall be used only as a food additive. This products can cause serious injury if directly consumed, ingested and/or applied to the eyes, or any other bodily organs.
2. 16 Million Reserve is to be used at my own risk, and I fully understand the potential danger if handled improperly.
3. If I give this product as a gift, I will make the recipient fully aware of the potential danger if handled improperly, or directly consumed.
4. I hereby disclaim, release, and relinquish any and all claims, actions and/or lawsuits that I, or any of my dependents, heirs, or family members may have relating to any damage and/or injury that results, or is alleged to have resulted, from the use, consumption, ingestion, and/or contact of any bodily part or organ of or from 16 Million Reserve.
5. I am not inebriated, and I am fully able to make a sound decision about the purchase if these products.
Something similar should be required at McDonalds.

I'll probably catch some flack for this, but I'm really kinda fond of Del Scorcho packets from Del Taco.
http://www.geocities.com/thesquarerootoftwo/photos/deltaco.jpg
Not a lot of heat, but good flavor.

Last edited:
MiH, my dad brought the Zulu stuff back from Chile! I'm sure I've seen it on sale here since, but haven't been able to find any lately. It's lovely and gloopy, much thicker than tabasco but a lot easier to pour or dash than many other sauces I've found.

A guy I know's favourite snack is peanut butter and jalapeño sandwiches. Sounds so wrong, but it's absolutely lovely, especially on brown bread with a bit of ground black pepper. Just remember to drain off the vinegar if you can't find fresh jalapeños!

(Respect due to Astroñuc for saving me the ñ effort)

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know my limit, do you? What do you think is the realistic limit for scoville units? At some point it must be not only painful beyond the point of any possible enjoyment, but also dangerous. The hottest thing that I ever ate was a pepper found in some thai food, I think. It was beyond hot. It literally felt as though my tongue had been cut.
ooh, man, those little Thai peppers are definitely my limit! They are like little blowtorches in the mouth. What really hurts is when you're naive in the ways of capsaicin and you grab the ice-water and gulp it down and ahHHH! the burn just gets worse. All the while tears are running down your face and you're fanning your tongue and trying to make some kind of international symbol for milk to the waitress. :eek: :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Now I have to get bottles of Ultimate Insanity and Blair's 16 Million Reserve (although one place want $249.95 for it), but I might have to settle for Blair's 6 am.
two fifty huh? hmmmm

As it turns out, capsaicin is used in survival kits to thwart grizzly bears.

Astronuc, that covers two bases at once for you, eh?