Real & Imaginary Parts of Logarithms

In summary, we are trying to find the real and imaginary parts of log(1+i)log(i). We use the formula loga + logb = log(ab) to simplify the question to just log(i). Simplifying further, we get log(1+i) = iπ/4 and log(i) = iπ/2. Their product gives us -(π)^2/8, which is the principal value of the equation. We can type π by pressing alt + P. We can also use the alt key to type other mathematical symbols such as √, ≤, and ≠. If these suggestions do not work, there is a thread in the Lounge section that discusses alternative solutions.
mkbh_10

Homework Statement

Find the real & imaginary parts of log(1+i)log(i) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mkbh_10! :smile:

What have you tried?

The first thing is to simplify the question, before answering it.

The only useful formula you know about log is loga + logb = logab.

Concentrate on just log(i), on its own.

How does that formula help you to simplify log(i)? :smile:

Last edited:
(1+i) = (e)^i pi/4 , log(1+i)= i pi/4 & log(i) = i pi/2 , there product gives -(pi)^2/8 which is the principal value

(btw, if you type alt-p, it prints π)

Yes, fine! :smile:

… except … slight mistake … (1+i) = (√2)(e)^iπ/4;

so log(1+i) = … ? :smile:

tell me how to get these mathematical symbols , how to write an eqn like you have written ?

log(1+i)= log(sqrt2)+log(e^i pi/4) = log(sqrt2)+ ipi/4= [1/2log(2)+i pi/4]*i pi/2

= i pi log(2)-(pi)^2/8

… extra symbols on the keyboard …

mkbh_10 said:
= i pi log(2)-(pi)^2/8

erm … isn't it iπ log(2)/4 - π^2/8 ?
tell me how to get these mathematical symbols , how to write an eqn like you have written ?

On your keyboard, there should be a key marked alt or opt.

It's probably on the bottom row, next to the space-bar.

If it's not marked, just try each key which does nothing when you press it on its own.

Anyway, this key is like the shift key that types capitals for you - you hold down alt while you type a normal letter, and it gives you something different: `Ω≈ç√∫~µ≤≥÷«æ…¬˚∆˙©ƒ∂ßåœ∑´®†¥¨^øπ“‘≠–ºª•¶§∞¢#€¡

And if you press both the shift and the alt at the same time, you get ŸÛÙÇ◊ıˆ˜¯˘¿»ÆÚÒÔÓÌÏÎÍÅŒ„‰ÂÊÁËÈØ∏”’±—‚·°‡flfi›‹™⁄

Have you found it? :smile:

Its not working like that

mkbh_10 said:
Its not working like that

Do you mean that you can't find an alt key, or that you've found it but it doesn't do anything?

it doesn't do nything

ß ∂ ∆ µ π ∏ ∑ Ω … √ ∫ ≤ ≥ ≠ ± #

I have a Mac, and the alt key gives all the symbols in my previous post.

But it looks as if the alt key on PC keyboards only operates the F1 etc function keys.

But surely PCs must have a way of typing these extra symbols?

I've been doing a bit of research in wikipedia.

I have two suggestions to try.

(1) Is there another alt key on the right-hand side of the space bar (it might be called alt-Gr)? If so, try that instead.

(2) Try pressing the control key and alt (and a letter) at the same time.

if neither of these work, I'll start a thread in the Lounge section to see if anyone else knows what to do!

Until then, or unless you want to buy a Mac, I suggest you save all the symbols from this thread into a separate document, and then copy and paste them whenever wanted.

Or just bookmark this thread, and copy direct from it!

For conveninence, I'll re-type the best ones here, for you to copy:

ß ∂ ∆ µ π ∏ ∑ Ω … √ ∫ ≤ ≥ ≠ ± #

… see new thread …

tiny-tim said:
… if neither of these work, I'll start a thread in the Lounge section to see if anyone else knows what to do!

Done it … see
So if you'd prefer the forum to supply these letters, join in the new thread and cast a vote for it! :smile:

thnx

What are the real and imaginary parts of logarithms?

The real part of a logarithm is the number that is raised to a certain power to get the given logarithm. For example, in log(base 10) 100, the real part is 10. The imaginary part of a logarithm is a number that, when added to the real part, would make the given logarithm equal to 0. For example, in log(base 10) 100, the imaginary part is 0.

Why do logarithms have both real and imaginary parts?

Logarithms have both real and imaginary parts because they are complex numbers, meaning they have both a real and imaginary component. This allows for a more complete representation of the number and allows for certain operations, such as exponentiation, to be performed more easily.

How are the real and imaginary parts of logarithms calculated?

The real and imaginary parts of logarithms can be calculated using the properties of logarithms and complex numbers. For example, the real part of a logarithm can be found by taking the logarithm of the absolute value of the number, and the imaginary part can be found by taking the argument (angle) of the complex number.

What is the significance of the imaginary part of logarithms?

The imaginary part of logarithms is significant because it allows for the representation of complex numbers, which are used in many areas of mathematics and science. Additionally, the imaginary part can provide information about the behavior and properties of the logarithm, such as its periodicity and the presence of singularities.

How are logarithms with imaginary parts used in practical applications?

Logarithms with imaginary parts are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of complex systems, such as chaos theory and fractal geometry. In these applications, the imaginary part of logarithms provides important insights and understanding into the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.