Columbia River Sturgeon Conundrum Baffles Experts

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a large ball of white sturgeon was found in the Columbia River and experts are still trying to figure out what the fish were doing there.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Big ball of sturgeon in Columbia River baffles experts

...The mountain of white sturgeon contained around 60,000 fish, according to a rough estimate by Michael Parsley, a research fisheries biologist with the U.S.

...The lingering question is: What were all the fish doing there?
http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/05/big_ball_of_columbia_river_stu.html

Physics news on Phys.org
A sturgeon party and we were not invited?

Auditioning for the chance to be a PF greeter!

My husband has informed me of his sighting of masses of sturgeon in the Grand River, here in MI. Nothing anywhere near that amount, but he said perhaps several hundred, and noted its a much smaller river.
I wonder if the PF insurance would cover a injury due to a sturgeon wack?

hypatia said:
I wonder if the PF insurance would cover a injury due to a sturgeon wack?
I would be more concerned about the PF sisters blowing out their disks even just trying to pick up one of those monsters. Some of the largest can easily grow to thousands of pounds.

hypatia said:
My husband has informed me of his sighting of masses of sturgeon in the Grand River, here in MI. Nothing anywhere near that amount, but he said perhaps several hundred, and noted its a much smaller river.

Interesting! We have a second account of behavior that apparently was previously unknown to science.

My first thought was of garter snakes, who gather in large groups for mating.

Grasshopper. What is the sound of one sturgeon swarming?

by the way, I am on th look-out for recipes for sturgeon ball soup.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Interesting! We have a second account of behavior that apparently was previously unknown to science.

Was it entirely unknown? The article gave the impression the behaviour had been seen before, just not on this scale

"Biologists have heard reports of congregations of sturgeon at the surface of reservoirs and rivers, including shallow parts of the Columbia."

Sure enough. The report I saw made it sound like a complete mystery and I didn't read the entire report linked.

lisab said:
My first thought was of garter snakes, who gather in large groups for mating.

And hippies.

Several things popped into my mind as possibilities when reading the article:
1) Mating (not sure what's known about sturgeon mating and if this could be part of it).
2) Safety in numbers while dormant or hibernating of some sort.
3) Some sort of insulation from colder water temperatures...at least for those in the middle.
4) Don't know how to swim through the dam but sure are trying.

I'd love to see some of the pictures of the sturgeon ball.

What is the Columbia River Sturgeon Conundrum?

The Columbia River Sturgeon Conundrum refers to a puzzling phenomenon observed by experts in which the number of sturgeon in the Columbia River has significantly declined despite conservation efforts and strict fishing regulations.

What are sturgeon?

Sturgeon are a group of large, primitive fish found in freshwater and coastal marine environments. They are known for their long lifespans, slow growth rate, and late sexual maturity.

What are the possible causes of the decline in sturgeon population in the Columbia River?

There are several potential factors that could contribute to the decline of sturgeon in the Columbia River, including overfishing, habitat degradation, and changes in water quality and temperature. Other possible factors include predation, disease, and competition with non-native species.

What methods are being used to study the Columbia River Sturgeon Conundrum?

Experts are using a variety of methods to study the sturgeon decline in the Columbia River, including tracking and monitoring individual sturgeon, analyzing water quality and temperature data, and conducting surveys of the river ecosystem. They are also collaborating with local indigenous communities to gather traditional knowledge and insights.

What can be done to help address the Columbia River Sturgeon Conundrum?

To help address the decline in sturgeon population, experts recommend implementing more sustainable fishing practices, restoring and protecting critical sturgeon habitats, and reducing pollution and other human impacts on the river. It is also important to continue studying and monitoring the sturgeon population to better understand the underlying causes and inform future conservation efforts.

Back