Solving Difficult Integral: x/(x-a)^0.5 from 10^-3 to 10^-2

• Thread starter Per Oni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral with a starting distance of 10^-3 and a final distance of 10^-2. The Wolfram integrator gave a complicated answer, but by using 1/2 instead of 0.5, a simpler solution can be obtained using logarithms.
Per Oni
Please help required with this integral:
(x/(x-a))^0.5 where "a" is a start distance of 10^-3 and the final distance needs to be 10^-2

It looks simple but its not.
Wolfram integrator gave this answer:

Integrate[(x/(x - a))^0.5, x] ==
(0.*(x/(-a + x))^0.5*(-a + x)^0.5)/x^0.5 + (2.*(x/(-a + x))^0.5*(-a + x)^0.5*(-1.*a + x)^0.5* Hypergeometric2F1[0.5, -0.5, 1.5, 1. - (1.*x)/a])/ (0. + x/a)^0.5

Which is way way over my head. Is there a simpler solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the integral you want to solve is [tex]\int \sqrt{ \frac{x}{x-a}} dx[/tex], make the substitution [itex] x= a \sec^2 \theta[/itex].

Per Oni said:
Wolfram integrator gave this answer:

Integrate[(x/(x - a))^0.5, x] ==
(0.*(x/(-a + x))^0.5*(-a + x)^0.5)/x^0.5 + (2.*(x/(-a + x))^0.5*(-a + x)^0.5*(-1.*a + x)^0.5* Hypergeometric2F1[0.5, -0.5, 1.5, 1. - (1.*x)/a])/ (0. + x/a)^0.5

Which is way way over my head. Is there a simpler solution?

Tell Wolfram again, but this time use 1/2 and not 0.5 ... this tells Wolfram that the exponent is an exact number, and not just a decimal approximation to some number. If the exponent is very close to 1/2, but perhaps not equal to 1/2, then the answer will come out as an 2F1 as shown. But if the exponent is exactly 1/2, then you can get an answer in logarithms.

g_edgar said:
Tell Wolfram again, but this time use 1/2 and not 0.5 ... this tells Wolfram that the exponent is an exact number, and not just a decimal approximation to some number. If the exponent is very close to 1/2, but perhaps not equal to 1/2, then the answer will come out as an 2F1 as shown. But if the exponent is exactly 1/2, then you can get an answer in logarithms.

Thanks a lot. Using 1/2 gave me a sensible answer.

1. How do I solve this difficult integral?

The first step to solving this integral is to rewrite it in a more manageable form. In this case, we can use the substitution u = x-a to transform the integral into x/(x-a)^0.5 dx = u/(u^0.5). Then, we can use the power rule for integration to solve it.

2. What is the range of integration for this integral?

The range of integration for this integral is from 10^-3 to 10^-2. This means that we are integrating over the interval [10^-3, 10^-2] on the x-axis.

3. Can I use numerical methods to solve this integral?

Yes, you can use numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to approximate the value of this integral. However, it is always recommended to try to solve it analytically first.

4. What is the significance of the variable a in the integral?

The variable a represents a constant value in the given integral. It can be any real number, and its value will affect the shape and behavior of the integral. The value of a can be adjusted to see how it impacts the value of the integral.

5. Is there any special technique to solve this integral?

Yes, for this specific integral, we can use the substitution method as described in the first question. This is a common technique used to simplify integrals and make them easier to solve. Other techniques that can be used include integration by parts and trigonometric substitutions.