Heritance percentage of schizophrenia?

In summary, research suggests that genetics play a significant role in the development of schizophrenia, accounting for approximately 70-80% of the risk. However, environmental factors such as prenatal complications, exposure to viruses, and drug use can also contribute to the risk. While a person can inherit a susceptibility to developing schizophrenia from their parents, other factors also play a role and it is not a guarantee that they will develop the disorder. There is evidence that the heritability of schizophrenia may vary depending on the type, with childhood-onset schizophrenia potentially having a higher heritability than adult-onset. Currently, there is no way to eliminate or reduce the heritability of schizophrenia, but early intervention and treatment can help manage symptoms and improve quality of
fawk3s
Hi

I can't find the exact answer anywhere. What is the heritance percentage of the disease for children or grandchildren from a male person?
So let's say "granddad" has the disease, what are the chances his grandson will inherit it?

Yes, my grandfather had it, but I am not afraid of the inheritance. I am just interested.
I would also like to know the chances for me being a carrier.

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.schizophrenia.com/research/hereditygen.htm" .

I, too, have an interest in this subject...my great-grandmother very likely had it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello fawk3s,

Thank you for your inquiry. I understand your curiosity about the heritability of schizophrenia. While there is no exact percentage that can be attributed to inheritance, research suggests that genetic factors play a significant role in the development of schizophrenia. Studies have shown that individuals with a first-degree relative (parent, sibling, or child) who has schizophrenia are at a higher risk of developing the disorder compared to the general population.

In terms of specific percentages, it is estimated that the risk of developing schizophrenia is about 10% for individuals who have a first-degree relative with the disorder, compared to approximately 1% in the general population. This means that while there is an increased risk, it is not a guarantee that the disorder will be inherited.

To address your question about the chances of inheriting schizophrenia from a grandfather, it is important to consider the genetic contribution from both sides of the family. If your grandfather has schizophrenia, it is possible that there may be other family members on his side who also have the disorder, increasing the chances of inheritance. However, it is also possible that other factors such as environmental influences may also play a role in the development of schizophrenia.

As for being a carrier of the disorder, it is important to note that schizophrenia is a complex disorder with multiple genetic and environmental factors at play. Being a carrier means that you may have inherited certain genetic variations that increase the risk of developing schizophrenia, but it does not necessarily mean that you will develop the disorder. Additionally, the risk of being a carrier is also influenced by the genetic makeup of the other parent.

In conclusion, while there is no exact percentage for the heritability of schizophrenia, research suggests that genetic factors do play a significant role in the development of the disorder. It is important to understand that having a family member with schizophrenia does not guarantee that you will inherit the disorder, and there are other factors at play. If you have any concerns about your risk of developing schizophrenia, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional who can provide personalized information and support.

Best regards,

1. How much of schizophrenia is hereditary?

Research suggests that genetic factors play a significant role in the development of schizophrenia, accounting for approximately 70-80% of the risk.

2. Is schizophrenia solely caused by genetics?

No, while genetics play a major role in the development of schizophrenia, environmental factors such as prenatal complications, exposure to viruses, and drug use can also contribute to the risk of developing the disorder.

3. Can a person inherit schizophrenia from their parents?

Yes, a person can inherit a susceptibility to developing schizophrenia from their parents. However, it is not a guarantee that they will develop the disorder. Other factors, such as environmental influences, also play a role.

4. Does the percentage of heritability change depending on the type of schizophrenia?

There is evidence that the heritability of schizophrenia may vary depending on the type of schizophrenia. For example, studies have shown that the heritability of childhood-onset schizophrenia may be higher than that of adult-onset schizophrenia.

5. Can the heritability of schizophrenia be reduced or eliminated?

Currently, there is no way to eliminate or reduce the heritability of schizophrenia. However, early intervention and treatment can help manage symptoms and improve quality of life for those with the disorder.