Genetics recombination questions

In summary, the answer to question 2 is that trans and cis heterozygotes exhibit equal recombination frequencies.
sonyab523
Confused on 2 questions hereIf a recombination frequency between two genes is 1.5%, what is the distance between the genes in map units on the linkage map?

a. Impossible to determine, because the interference is not known.
b. 1.5
c. 3
d. 0.75

Recombination frequencies

a. arise from completely random genetic exchange.
b. are the same for all genes.
c. decrease with distance.
d. are the same for cis and trans heterozygotes.I thought it was b for the first part a for the second part and but I'm wrong. Can someone explain?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry forgot to add my explanation

b. Each % frequency of recombination equals one map unit between the genes. So 1.5% recombination frequency = 1.5 map units apart will result in 1.5% recombination

a. It can't be (b), because genes are all distances apart; it can't be (c), because frequencies increase with increasing distance; it can't be (d), because the distance between genes is the same whether the alleles are cis or trans loci. So I thought it was a.

Help help please.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I'd probably agree with your answers.

nobahar said:
I'm not absolutely sure, but I'd probably agree with your answers.

I thought I was right but when I entered it into the system I was wrong. I'm sure the first part is right and I thought the second part was right but I guess not.

I would probably agree too. It is a strange way of examining to ask which of four statements is correct. It seems to me though I am a bit rusty, that you have to a little bit psych what some of the questions mean, if it's any consolation.

Well that can't be right since it's marked wrong. Anyone think it's c for the second part?

I was thinking D and C. D because as the loci become further apart (low recombination values) the probability of a second crossover increases and the recombination value is overestimated. The only value less than 1.5 is 0.75 (D). I don't know what is meant by "interference" in answer A but that could be correct as well.

Edit. you are right C can't be correct

I finally found some material that helped. I got it right and the answer was D. Thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it.

I've been talking about question 2.
For which one is the answer D? What did you arrive at for number 2?
The link I recommended explicitly states that trans and cis heterozygotes exhibit equal recombination frequencies.

nobahar said:
I've been talking about question 2.
For which one is the answer D? What did you arrive at for number 2?
The link I recommended explicitly states that trans and cis heterozygotes exhibit equal recombination frequencies.

D is the answer for the second question. So you were right.

sonyab523 said:
D is the answer for the second question. So you were right.

My apologies, I lost track of the question! Technically I wasn't right, the textbook was...:grumpy:

1. How does genetics recombination occur?

Genetics recombination is the process by which the genetic material of two individuals is combined to create a new offspring. This occurs through the exchange of genetic material, specifically through the swapping of DNA segments during meiosis.

2. What is the purpose of genetics recombination?

The purpose of genetics recombination is to increase genetic diversity within a population. This allows for a wider range of traits and adaptations, which can improve the survival and success of a species.

3. Can genetics recombination be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, genetics recombination can be controlled and manipulated through various techniques such as selective breeding or genetic engineering. These methods can be used to create desired traits or eliminate undesirable traits in plants and animals.

4. What are the potential risks of genetics recombination?

Some potential risks of genetics recombination include unintended side effects or negative consequences of manipulating genetic material. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and test the effects of these techniques before implementing them on a large scale.

5. How is genetics recombination studied and researched?

Genetics recombination is studied and researched through various methods such as laboratory experiments, field studies, and computer simulations. Scientists also use statistical analysis to understand patterns and genetic outcomes of recombination in different populations.