Finding the mass and center of mass of a wire using a line integral.

In summary, the mass of the wire in the shape of a helix is \frac{\sqrt{2} (8\pi^3 + 6\pi)}{3} and the center of mass is \left(\frac{3 (\pi+2 \pi^3)}{3+4 pi^2},\frac{6}{3+4 \pi^2}, -\frac{6 \pi}{3+4 \pi^2}\right).
ZeroSum

Homework Statement

Find the mass and center of mass of a wire in the shape of the helix [tex]x=t[/tex], [tex]y=\cos{t}[/tex], [tex]z = \sin{t}[/tex], [tex]0 \le t \le 2 \pi[/tex], if the density at any point is equal to the square of the distance from the origin.

Homework Equations

Arc length formula:
[tex]ds = \sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2}[/tex]

[tex]m = \int_C \rho(x,y,z)\,ds[/tex]
[tex]\bar{x} = \frac{1}{m} \int_C x \rho(x,y,z)\,ds[/tex]
[tex]\bar{y} = \frac{1}{m} \int_C y \rho(x,y,z)\,ds[/tex]
[tex]\bar{z} = \frac{1}{m} \int_C z \rho(x,y,z)\,ds[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the parametric equations given to find the value for ds using the arc length formula. I cannot be sure if what I've done yields the proper answer, though. Here is my attempt at an answer:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = -\sin{t}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = \cos{t}[/tex]

[tex]m = \int_{0}^{2\pi} t^2 \sqrt{\left(1\right)^2 + \left(-sin{t}\right)^2 + \left(cos{t}\right)^2}\, dt[/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi} t^2 \sqrt{2} \, dt[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\sqrt{2} \, t^3}{3}\right \bigg{|}^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{8 \sqrt{2}\, \pi^3}{3}[/tex]

Is this correct?

That would make the remainder of the equations:

[tex]\bar{x} = \frac{3}{8 \sqrt{2}\, \pi^3} \int_C t(t^2) \sqrt{2}\,ds[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3}{8 \, \pi^3} \int_C t^3\,ds[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3}{8 \, \pi^3} \frac{t^4}{4} \bigg{|}^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{3(2\pi)^4}{32\pi^3} - 0[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3\pi}{2} [/tex]

[tex]\bar{y} = \frac{3}{8 \sqrt{2}\, \pi^3} \int_C t^2 \cos{t} \sqrt{2}\,ds[/tex]
[tex]\bar{y} = \frac{3}{8 \, \pi^3} \int_C t^2 \cos{t}\,ds[/tex]

Bunch of ugly integration by parts here, which I'll have Wolfram Alpha do...

[tex] = \frac{3}{2 \pi^2}[/tex]

[tex]\bar{z} = \frac{3}{8 \sqrt{2}\, \pi^3} \int_C z \sqrt{2}\,ds[/tex]

Using WA to shorten this...

[tex] = -\frac{3}{2 \pi^2}[/tex]

Since my book does not have answers for even problems, I can't tell if these are correct or not. Could anyone check them to see if I know what I'm doing with these?

Edit: I found the equation for the center of mass and updated everything.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ZeroSum said:

Homework Statement

Find the mass and center of mass of a wire in the shape of the helix [tex]x=t[/tex], [tex]y=\cos{t}[/tex], [tex]z = \sin{t}[/tex], [tex]0 \le t \le 2 \pi[/tex], if the density at any point is equal to the square of the distance from the origin.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_C \rho(x,y,z)\,ds[/tex]

Arc length formula:
[tex]ds = \sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the parametric equations given to find the value for ds using the arc length formula. I cannot be sure if what I've done yields the proper answer, though. Here is my attempt at an answer:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = -\sin{t}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = \cos{t}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} t^2 \sqrt{\left(1\right)^2 + \left(-sin{t}\right)^2 + \left(cos{t}\right)^2}\, dt[/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi} t^2 \sqrt{2} \, dt[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\sqrt{2} \, t^3}{3}\right \bigg{|}^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{8 \sqrt{2}\, \pi^3}{3}[/tex]

Is this correct? Also, how do I go about computing the center of mass over a line integral like this? I can't find any formulas for that in my textbook.

For the mass you want to calculate

[tex]m = \int_C \rho(x,y,z)\, ds[/tex]

which is apparently what you tried, but you didn't label it as m and t2 is not the distance from (x,y,z) to the origin, squared. You need x2+y2+z2 in the integrand.

Then to get the center of mass you need

[tex]\overline x = \frac 1 m \int_C x \rho(x,y,z)\, ds[/tex]

and similarly for the other two coordinates.

Thank you, LCKurtz.

I edited my post right as you were replying, I guess. I found and added the formulas and added the m = to the front of the equation for mass along the line integral.

So, if we're using [tex]\rho = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 [/tex] we get [tex]\rho = t^2 + \cos^2{t} + \sin^2{t}[/tex] which is just [tex]\rho = t^2 + 1[/tex] by the Pyth. ID.

That would yield a mass of:

[tex]m = \frac{\sqrt{2} (8\pi^3 + 6\pi)}{3}[/tex]

I left out the steps since I expect you can use Wolfram Alpha as well as I. Is this what you get as well?

Then subbing in 1/m and solving the other equation in the same way I get:

[tex]cm = \left(\frac{3 (\pi+2 \pi^3)}{3+4 pi^2},\frac{6}{3+4 \pi^2}, -\frac{6 \pi}{3+4 \pi^2}\right)[/tex]

Is this the correct answer for that part as well?

1. How do you calculate the mass of a wire using a line integral?

To calculate the mass of a wire using a line integral, you first need to find the density function of the wire. Then, you can set up the line integral using the density function and the length of the wire. Integrating over the length of the wire will give you the mass of the wire.

2. What is the center of mass of a wire and how is it related to a line integral?

The center of mass of a wire is the point at which the wire would balance if it were placed on a fulcrum. It is related to a line integral because the line integral can be used to find the position of the center of mass by integrating over the length of the wire.

3. Can you find the mass and center of mass of a wire without using a line integral?

Yes, you can find the mass and center of mass of a wire using other methods such as using the density and volume of the wire to calculate its mass, or using the moment of inertia to find the position of the center of mass.

4. How does the shape of the wire affect the calculation of its mass and center of mass?

The shape of the wire can affect the calculation of its mass and center of mass because it determines the density function and the position of the wire's center of mass. Different shapes will have different density functions and different points of balance.

5. What are the real-world applications of finding the mass and center of mass of a wire using a line integral?

Finding the mass and center of mass of a wire using a line integral has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can be used to design and balance structures, calculate the amount of material needed for a project, and understand the distribution of weight in a system.