Calculating the resistance from R = pl/A

• Thread starter jsmith613
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of potential difference across a laboratory lead consisting of 16 strands of fine copper wire. The resistivity of copper was given as 1.7 × 10^-8 Ohm*m. Through a series of equations and clarifications, it was determined that the potential difference would be 0.036 V. The decrease in total resistance when strands of wire are put in parallel was also explained.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

A laboratory lead consists of 16 strands of fine copper wire twisted together. Each strand is 30 cm long with a diameter of 0.15 mm. Calculate the potential difference across the lead when it is carrying a current of 2.0 A.
(The resistivity of copper = 1.7 × 10^-8 Ohm*m)

Homework Equations

What I would do is R = pl/A and then multiply by 2
BUT I can't find R

The Attempt at a Solution

(the answer is. apparently, 0.036 V but I can't see how)

I said R = [(1.7*10^-8)*16*0.3)/(pi*0.15/20000)^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
I said R = [(1.7*10^-8)*16*0.3)/(pi*0.15/20000)^2)

Putting strands of wire in parallel decreases the total resistance, because the electrons now have many more paths to follow. 16 strands would decrease the resistance by a factor of 16.

Also, why are you dividing 0.15 by 20,000? Why is pi being squared? The area of a circle of pi*r^2, not (pi*r)^2.

ideasrule said:
Putting strands of wire in parallel decreases the total resistance, because the electrons now have many more paths to follow. 16 strands would decrease the resistance by a factor of 16.

Also, why are you dividing 0.15 by 20,000? Why is pi being squared? The area of a circle of pi*r^2, not (pi*r)^2.

er, sorry abou the pi^2 bad use of brackets

it was meant to be pi * (0.15/2000)^2

again sorry,

Question: it is still ONE strand of wire, just twisted, are you sure total R decreases

seems you are correct - I now get the correct answer
thanks

oh, don't worry I get it
first example 16 separate strands
second example one strand with 8 branches
its ok

1. What is the formula for calculating resistance?

The formula for calculating resistance is R = pl/A, where R is resistance, p is resistivity, l is length, and A is cross-sectional area.

2. How do you determine the resistivity of a material?

The resistivity of a material can be determined by measuring the resistance of a known length and cross-sectional area of the material and then using the formula R = pl/A to solve for p.

3. Can resistance be negative?

No, resistance cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the opposition to current flow in a circuit.

4. How does length and cross-sectional area affect resistance?

The longer the length of a material, the higher its resistance will be. This is because there is more material for the current to pass through. On the other hand, a larger cross-sectional area will result in lower resistance as there is more space for the current to flow through.

5. What is the unit of resistance in the formula R = pl/A?

The unit of resistance in this formula is ohms (Ω). This represents the amount of resistance in a material to the flow of one ampere of current when one volt of potential difference is applied.