Solve 2D Momentum Problem: Car1 Velocity at Impact

In summary: That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be... mind you that was an easy momentum problem for you, but difficult for me. I imagine it would be harder if you had 1 vehicle t-bone another and they both have pre and post impact velocities.
Probie1

Homework Statement

Car 1 weighing 1000 kg crashes into the rear of parked car 2 weighing 1100 kg and stops. Car2 moves ahead 2 ms2. What is the velocity of car1 at impact?

Homework Equations

(m1v1+m2v2)=(m1v3+m2v4)

The Attempt at a Solution

(m2V4)/m1
(1100*2)/1000
2.2ms2= 2200/1000

Okay, now I know this is right, but what I don't know is how do they arrive at the equation (m2v4)/m1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probie1 said:

Homework Statement

Car 1 weighing 1000 kg crashes into the rear of parked car 2 weighing 1100 kg and stops. Car2 moves ahead 2 ms2. What is the velocity of car1 at impact?

Homework Equations

(m1v1+m2v2)=(m1v3+m2v4)

The Attempt at a Solution

(m2V4)/m1
(1100*2)/1000
2.2ms2= 2200/1000

Okay, now I know this is right, but what I don't know is how do they arrive at the equation (m2v4)/m1 ?

If you examine your original conservation of momentum equation, let [itex]v_1, v_3[/itex] be the initial and final speeds of car 1, respectively, and let [itex]v_2,v_4[/itex] be the initial and final speeds of car 2, respectively. From the context of the problem, what must be true about speeds [itex]v_2[/itex] and [itex]v_3[/itex]?

(1000*2.2+1100*0)=(1000*0+1100*2)

V2 and v3 have no velocity so they have no momentum...correct?

Probie1 said:
V2 and v3 have no velocity so they have no momentum...correct?

Correct.

So because they have no momentum they cancel out which means you rewrite the equation to solve for velocity1

(1000*2.2+1100*0)=(1000*0+1100*2)

(1000)=(1100*2)

(m1)=(m2v4)

(m2V4)/m1

(1100*2)/1000

2.2ms2= 2200/1000

Is that how it is done?

Yes, that's the idea. Conservation of momentum dictates [itex]m_1 v_1 = m_2 v_4[/itex], solving for the initial speed is just an algebra problem.

Thanks Steely Dan... that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be... mind you that was an easy momentum problem for you, but difficult for me. I imagine it would be harder if you had 1 vehcile t-bone another and they both have pre and post impact velocities.

I was just re reading your posts...

Yes, that's the idea. Conservation of momentum dictates m 1 v 1 =m 2 v 4 , solving for the initial speed is just an algebra problem.

...when I re read this post the light started to flicker.

Thanks again Steely Dan

1. What is a 2D momentum problem?

A 2D momentum problem involves calculating the momentum of objects in a two-dimensional space, taking into account their mass and velocity in both the x and y directions.

2. How do you solve a 2D momentum problem?

To solve a 2D momentum problem, you need to first identify and label the objects involved, determine their masses and velocities in both the x and y directions, and then use the equation p = mv to calculate the momentum of each object. Finally, you can apply the law of conservation of momentum to find the final velocity of the objects after a collision.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in 2D momentum problems?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum and kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only the total momentum is conserved, as some kinetic energy is lost during the collision due to deformation or heat.

4. Can you provide an example of a 2D momentum problem involving car collisions?

Sure, for example, if car 1 with a mass of 1000 kg and a velocity of 20 m/s in the x-direction collides with car 2, which has a mass of 1500 kg and a velocity of 10 m/s in the y-direction, the total momentum before the collision would be 30,000 kg*m/s in the x-direction. After the collision, using the law of conservation of momentum, we can determine the final velocity of both cars.

5. How do you use the concept of impulse in 2D momentum problems?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. In 2D momentum problems, impulse can be used to calculate the force applied during a collision, as well as the time duration of the collision. This information can be helpful in determining the final velocities of the objects involved.