Selection of relay for driving a immersion rod

• Thread starter issac newton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relay Rod
In summary, the person is designing a heating element control system and is looking for a relay to control an immersion rod with specifications of 16-A and 250 V AC. They have questions about using different types of sockets, alternative switching devices, suitable relays, and temperature sensors. A suggestion was given to use SSRs for easier use and to avoid overloading sockets by using them at 70% of their rating.
issac newton
i am designing a heating element control system. i am looking for a relay(with 5V input voltage if possible or 12V) which can control an immersion rod with specification 16-A & 250 V AC. The following are my questions.

1. the heater has to be driven with power sockets(type M sockets -16A). can i use normal sockets of "type D"(which produces max current of 15A). what will happen if i use this. will the heating process be slow because of lower current driving capacity of the socket or the effect will create some problems ?

2. to control this heating element i am using MSP 430G2231. is there any switching device instead of relays like mosfets which work out cheaper for controlling the heater with specified ratings.

3. which relay might suit my requirements. cheap and best ones.

4. i am using LM35 as my temperature sensor. please suggest me with some other best,cheap and user friendly sensors with resolution upto 0.5 degree.

thank you all.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there

do a google search on SSR (Solid State Relays) and mains contactor relays
they are available with low voltage/current drive and being able to switch high voltages and currents

Dave

Last edited:
What Dave said.

For that current and voltage you'd almost need a motor starter with heavy silver contacts, and the sparking would generate EMI. SSR will be much easier to use.

Pick one that closes on the zero crossing.

EDIT: RE socket rting - never overload one by design. Good design would use it at around 70% of its rating.

1. What is the purpose of using a relay for driving an immersion rod?

A relay is used to control the flow of electricity to the immersion rod. It acts as a switch, turning the rod on and off as needed.

2. What factors should be considered when selecting a relay for driving an immersion rod?

The most important factors to consider when selecting a relay for driving an immersion rod are the voltage and current ratings of the relay, and the power requirements of the immersion rod. It is also important to consider the type of load (inductive or resistive) and the operating environment.

3. Can any type of relay be used for driving an immersion rod?

No, not all relays are suitable for driving an immersion rod. It is important to select a relay specifically designed for this purpose to ensure safety and proper functioning.

4. How do I calculate the appropriate relay size for my immersion rod?

The appropriate relay size is determined by the power requirements of the immersion rod. To calculate the required relay size, divide the power rating of the immersion rod by the voltage rating of the relay. It is recommended to choose a relay with a slightly higher capacity than the calculated value.

5. How can I ensure the reliability of the selected relay for driving an immersion rod?

To ensure the reliability of the selected relay, it is important to choose a reputable brand and to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for installation and operation. Regular maintenance and proper handling can also contribute to the reliability of the relay.