How to Calculate Safety Factor for Beam Columns?

In summary: I apologize in advance if you think this should really go in the homework help area, I am not sure because this isn't a homework problem, but rather my struggle to understand and carry out concepts. If it needs to be re-posted, or moved, I understand. :)
derail
Beam held up by two columns

I apologize in advance if you think this should really go in the homework help area, I am not sure because this isn't a homework problem, but rather my struggle to understand and carry out concepts. If it needs to be re-posted, or moved, I understand. :)

In a building a beam is held up by two columns, and only two columns. I need to show that the columns are strong enough to hold up the beam. I thought the best way to do this would be to find the safety factor, and by showing that this value was high enough I would know that it would work.

Safety factor can by shown by, Ultimate load/actual load

Or, Design load/ expected load

I know the Tensile yield strength is 345 MPa (50 ksi) and tensile ultimate strength 450 MPa (65 ksi) of the column.

The cross sectional area of the column I found to be, 8.109 in^2, which is also 0.20596 meters. It is an I beam that I calculated the cross sectional area for.

How do I find out the force that the two columns can hold? That way I can use the safety factor with the load method. Or is that the wrong way to do it?

Keep in mind, I am trying to find the safety factor, so I can't assume its anything to help me find other data.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That looks very helpful but I am not sure, that website incorporates column buckling which I wasn't going to include as a factor. Then again, column buckling could be a major factor in this situation.

What is really hinges on then is, would it be possible for a column to not be strong enough to hold the beam but not buckle in the true sense? Or perhaps I don't understand the concept of column buckling.

derail said:
What is really hinges on then is, would it be possible for a column to not be strong enough to hold the beam but not buckle in the true sense? Or perhaps I don't understand the concept of column buckling.

That's why you must check the columns to see if buckling will be a problem. In other words, will the critical load in the column where buckling is imminent produce an axial stress in the column which is less than the elastic limit of the material?

The thing to realize about buckling, it is a phenomenon which is related to the stability of the column under load. Long, skinny columns can buckle with relatively little load applied to them, while short, squat columns will not exhibit any instability until the material starts to fail for other reasons.

This article illustrates some of the key concepts to learn about how to analyze buckling in columns:

http://www.ah-engr.com/som/10_buckling/text_10-1.htm

How does the situation change when there are two columns instead of just one?

Should I try and see if the columns will hold up outside of the buckling situation?

I am not designing columns from scratch, these columns are actually I beams. I am just trying to prove that they are strong enough to hold the weight of the beam and roof. So I am trying to find the force they can hold. I thought I could do this with the safety factor. How does the fact that there are two columns effect the column buckling equation?

derail said:
How do I calculate the Young's Modulus?

You don't calculate it. It is a property of the material. If you don't know it, you look it up in a table of material data.

For steel at room temperature, it is about 30 x 106 psi, or 200 GPa.

derail said:
I am not designing columns from scratch, these columns are actually I beams. I am just trying to prove that they are strong enough to hold the weight of the beam and roof. So I am trying to find the force they can hold. I thought I could do this with the safety factor.
Why not check your proposed construction against existing regulations for your jurisdiction?

derail said:
I am not designing columns from scratch, these columns are actually I beams. I am just trying to prove that they are strong enough to hold the weight of the beam and roof. So I am trying to find the force they can hold. I thought I could do this with the safety factor.
Most columns in buildings and other structures are constructed from readily available material, like I-beams. The equation for column buckling and a good set of steel tables will allow you to check buckling for your design, but I emphasize, only if you know how.

How does the fact that there are two columns effect the column buckling equation?

The fact that you asked this question and other similar basic ones strongly suggests that you obtain the help of a competent structural engineer. You shouldn't be checking the design of a structure if you have no experience or training doing so.

SteamKing said:
Most columns in buildings and other structures are constructed from readily available material, like I-beams. The equation for column buckling and a good set of steel tables will allow you to check buckling for your design, but I emphasize, only if you know how.

The fact that you asked this question and other similar basic ones strongly suggests that you obtain the help of a competent structural engineer. You shouldn't be checking the design of a structure if you have no experience or training doing so.

I agree. Thread is closed.

1. How do you calculate the load distribution on a beam held up by two columns?

The load distribution on a beam held up by two columns can be calculated using the principle of static equilibrium. This involves determining the weight of the beam, the weight of any objects placed on the beam, and the reactions at the two columns, then applying the equations of equilibrium to determine the load distribution.

2. What factors affect the stability of a beam held up by two columns?

The stability of a beam held up by two columns can be affected by several factors, including the material and size of the beam, the spacing between the columns, and the load placed on the beam. Additionally, the type and strength of the connections between the beam and columns can also impact the stability.

3. How do you determine the maximum load a beam held up by two columns can support?

The maximum load a beam held up by two columns can support depends on several factors, including the material and size of the beam, the spacing between the columns, and the type of load placed on the beam. To determine the maximum load, engineers use structural analysis techniques such as calculating the bending moment and shear force diagrams and applying strength and stability criteria.

4. How do you choose the appropriate beam and column sizes for a structure?

The appropriate beam and column sizes for a structure depend on several factors, including the type of building or structure, the expected loads, and the desired level of safety. Engineers use structural analysis and design techniques to determine the required sizes based on the structural requirements and building codes.

5. What are some common types of connections used between a beam and two columns?

Some common types of connections used between a beam and two columns include bolted connections, welded connections, and moment-resisting connections. The type of connection used depends on the structural requirements and the expected loads on the beam and columns.