Register to reply

What is the effect of temperature on coefficient of friction?

by Hardik Batra
Tags: coefficient, effect, friction, temperature
Share this thread:
Hardik Batra
Aug23-14, 03:06 AM
P: 108
How Co-efficient of static friction depends upon temperature?

What happens to the material when increase/decrease the temp. of a material ?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Three's a charm: NIST detectors reveal entangled photon triplets
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
New webcast series brings cutting-edge physics talks to the world
HallsofIvy
Aug23-14, 06:43 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
I can't give an answer to this but I strongly suspect that there is NO single correct answer. That it depends upon the material.
lovegovapvn
Aug23-14, 03:21 PM
P: 4
Isn't the faster the atoms move when the temp increase and slower as the temperature decrease. As the coefficient of kinetic friction is the force between two objects when one object is moving, or if two objects are moving against each other. Also the type of surface on which the object is sitting affects the coefficient of friction. So I guess if the temperature of one object increase, the co-efficient of friction also increase.

http://www.labthinkinternational.com...-friction.html

Try this link

Dear Sir
Aug23-14, 03:47 PM
P: 7
What is the effect of temperature on coefficient of friction?

Quote Quote by lovegovapvn View Post
Isn't the faster the atoms move when the temp increase and slower as the temperature decrease. As the coefficient of kinetic friction is the force between two objects when one object is moving, or if two objects are moving against each other. Also the type of surface on which the object is sitting affects the coefficient of friction. So I guess if the temperature of one object increase, the co-efficient of friction also increase.

http://www.labthinkinternational.com...-friction.html

Try this link

So what you mean is that water has a higher coefficient of kinetic friction than ice ? Nontheless there is no relation between temperature and the coefficient of friction , at least I haven't heard about it. Perhaps what the sir above me said is right sometimes , perhaps the other way around is right it depends on the material and not really that much on the temperature.
lovegovapvn
Aug23-14, 03:52 PM
P: 4
lol yeah perhaps this question need to be narrow down to include more specific variable.
Dear Sir
Aug23-14, 03:54 PM
P: 7
Well IMO we shouldn't even bother with such a thing. Unless the guy who posted about this really wants an answer.
Hardik Batra
Aug26-14, 11:53 AM
P: 108
some one said that,

Yes, It does not vary with lesser relative velocity between surfaces.But when the speed exceeds 10m/s ,due to heat produced between the surfaces the co-efficient increases.

one said that,

For a given temperature the coefficient of friction between any given pair of materials is constant. As temperature rises, different materials respond differently.
Increased speed will raise the temperature, so the friction will change. But initially, the speed doesn't matter.

These things are correct.?

But what happens to the materials so that it responds differently with different material.

Register to reply