Something Touched on in Another Thread

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: Whats with all this copland support? :frown: I guess you all have been jaded by too many baked bean commercials touting his music around...I like Copland. It was amazing to see that Stallone can actually act.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
The thread was locked down before I could post in it. Amongst QT's temper tantrums a sideline was talking about Aaron Copland...

I have to side with Jelfish and say that you guys that are "lernt" in classical music are not so "lernt" if you think Aaron Copland stinks. Take it back right now. I may have a tantrum myself.

Appalachian Spring (one of my all time favorites), Rodeo (the beef commercials' theme music), Lincoln Portrait (with Gregory Peck narrorating), Fanfare for the Common Man,...He is one of the most famous American composers you dolts.

There. I said it.

Physics news on Phys.org
FredGarvin said:
He is one of the most famous American composers

Yeah. Very easy to listen to. Perfect for commercials.

:devil: bait:devil: bait:devil:bait :devil:

Chi Meson said:
Yeah. Very easy to listen to. Perfect for commercials.
:devil: bait:devil: bait:devil:bait :devil:
Your bait's not good enough! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :biggrin:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Rodeo suite is awesome!

I suppose its good...if you lack taste... you want a good american composer, then pick gershwin for gods sake. Chi sums it up best, leave it for the dogs... I mean commercials...

Sounds like fred is going to make you all food for that machine of his in his avatar:rolleyes:

cyrusabdollahi said:
I suppose its good...if you lack taste... you want a good american composer, then pick gershwin for gods sake. Chi sums it up best, leave it for the dogs... I mean commercials...

hah They're not even in the same genre! That's like saying "Wagner sucks - if you want real to listen to a real German composer, pick up Bach."

I think you, dear cyrus, lack taste.

I thought it was Aaron Copeland. :confused:

And yes, he is very good.

I dislike Copeland.

Rap is the only true music in this world.

JasonRox said:
I thought it was Aaron Copeland. :confused:
If that's a response to my post, I was referring to ELP's 'Trilogy' album, which features electronic arrangements of Copeland's music. Check it out.

Aaron Copland is the composer. Kenneth Copeland is a televangelist. There's also a Copeland coorporation, which makes air conditioners.

Some people's kids...

I concur with Fred - I love Copland's music, especially "Appalacian Spring" and "Fanfare for the Common Man", and I concur with Danger, EL&P did a great adaptation of 'Rodeo', as well as "Fanfare for the Common Man".

Last edited:
rachmaninoff said:
Aaron Copland is the composer. Kenneth Copeland is a televangelist. There's also a Copeland coorporation, which makes air conditioners.
I dislike Aaron Copland's music.

Why do you all insist on mispelling his name? If this is a joke I'm not getting it. :confused:

edit: I wasn't referring to zoob.

We just wanted to see if you'd notice. There were some bets going on backstage through PM's. :biggrin:

I like Copland. It was amazing to see that Stallone can actually act.

Edit:

Oh, Copeland! He was a great drummer. I wonder if he talks with Sting anymore?

Aahahaha, I am listening to fanfair right now. In the back of my mind, I can picture a lumberjack saying, "I like to be tough...and nothing is tougher than dougs smoked sauages...." ahahahha.... (It would be good if every damn commercial did not slap this music on it and pass off their crap as a 'good commercial'). This is more like made for tv movie, sound track kind of stuff...its no mozart, no bach...you get my point...its nothing special .

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
The thread was locked down before I could post in it. Amongst QT's temper tantrums a sideline was talking about Aaron Copland...

I have to side with Jelfish and say that you guys that are "lernt" in classical music are not so "lernt" if you think Aaron Copland stinks. Take it back right now. I may have a tantrum myself.

Appalachian Spring (one of my all time favorites), Rodeo (the beef commercials' theme music), Lincoln Portrait (with Gregory Peck narrorating), Fanfare for the Common Man,...He is one of the most famous American composers you dolts.

There. I said it.
I played trumpet in high school and one year for marching band (yes, I was one of "them") we did an American theme - which, of course, was heavily weighted toward Copeland: Appalachian Spring and Rodeo. But Fanfare for the Common Man (short as it is...) is just awesome.

ughhhhhhhhhh...not you too russ! Whats with all this copland support? :frown: I guess you all have been jaded by too many baked bean commercials touting his music around...

Chi Meson said:
I like Copland. It was amazing to see that Stallone can actually act.

Edit:

Oh, Copeland! He was a great drummer. I wonder if he talks with Sting anymore?
lol, I never realized you could be such a jerk. I'm impressed.

russ_watters said:
I played trumpet in high school and one year for marching band (yes, I was one of "them") we did an American theme - which, of course, was heavily weighted toward Copeland: Appalachian Spring and Rodeo. But Fanfare for the Common Man (short as it is...) is just awesome.
Wholey crap! I too was a band-f**. Played trumpet too. I did the trifecta, marching, jazz and symphony. We did Appalacian Spring in both marching and symphony. I am getting the feeling that it was a lot more popular to play than I thought. Damn it's a small world sometimes.

tribdog said:
lol, I never realized you could be such a jerk. I'm impressed.
I guess it's time to scale back a bit.

I've nothing against Copland.

About 15 years ago, I saw the Martha Graham company perform Appalachian Spring, and I enjoyed it.

still, I don't go out of my way to listen to Copland, but I also don't eschew his music. The baiting was fun though.
:tongue2:

tribdog approves, better scale back.
If I cared I'd be offended. lol just kidding

russ_waters said:
I played trumpet in high school and one year for marching band
FredGarvin said:
Wholey crap! I too was a band-f**. Played trumpet too. I did the trifecta, marching, jazz and symphony.

The All-Star PF Orchestra is gaining momentum. I've played trombone since grade school. I've performed in college; jazz, concert, dixieland and of course marching bands. I'm sure we played Fanfare for Common Man. I always get chills when I hear those lush chords towards the end. (if you're not a musician, you won't know the emotional intensity performing in ensemble and hearing not only your contribution but all the other instruments surrounding you).

The other Copland pieces mentioned are all top notch. In addition I would add El Salón México, Quiet City, Simple Gifts, his Third Symphony and Clarinet Concerto. I've heard several narrations of Lincoln Portrait (Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck and some lesser known people). The expression & phrasing is critical. They don't all get it. I've been told James Earl Jones does a superb job. Maybe I can find an mp3 online.

(Besides classical I do a lot of blues, jazz, rock & bluegrass. I admit I play more acoustic guitar and mandolin these days).

Last edited:
I may or may not have heard "Fanfare for the Common Man," and that if you like Copland you are more learned than if you don't, but I still like nothing of his last four minutes of Rodeo.

1. What is "Something Touched on in Another Thread"?

"Something Touched on in Another Thread" refers to a topic or discussion that was mentioned or briefly discussed in a previous thread or conversation.

2. Why is "Something Touched on in Another Thread" important?

"Something Touched on in Another Thread" may be important because it can provide context or background information for a current discussion, or it may spark new ideas and discussions related to the previous thread.

3. How do I find the previous thread that "Something Touched on in Another Thread" was mentioned in?

You can use the search function or browse through the forum or discussion board to find the previous thread that mentioned "Something Touched on in Another Thread".

4. Can I reference "Something Touched on in Another Thread" in my own research or work?

Yes, you can reference "Something Touched on in Another Thread" as long as you properly cite the original source and give credit to the original author.

5. Is there a way to continue the discussion about "Something Touched on in Another Thread"?

Yes, you can start a new thread or discussion specifically about "Something Touched on in Another Thread" or you can mention it in an ongoing discussion related to the topic.

Back