Need to find Green Function to solve ODE

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a Green function for a basic ODE with certain boundary conditions. The use of Fourier series is questioned and alternative methods are suggested. The process for determining the Green function is discussed and equations are provided to fulfill the necessary conditions.
romeo6
Hi,

I have a basic ODE:

[tex]y''(x)+\frac{1}{4}y'(x)=f(x)[/tex]

on 0<x<L

With Boundary conditions:

[tex]y(0)=y(L)=0[/tex]

For which I would like to construct a Green Function.

Rather than just plain ask for help, I'll show you what I've been thinking and maybe someone wiser can help/correct me:

We must solve:

[tex]G''(x,x')+\frac{1}{4}G'(x,x'')=\delta(x-x')[/tex]

Since G vanishes at the boundaries we can expand as a Fourier sine series:

[tex]G(x,x')=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \gamma_n sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]

and:

[tex]\delta(x-x')=\sum_{n=1}^\infty A_n(x')sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]

Integrating the delta function I get:

[tex]A_n(x')=\frac{2}{L}sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]

I take the first and second derivative of the equation for G

and plug everything into the differential equation for G:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \gamma_n (\frac{-n^2 \pi^2}{L^2})sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}+\frac{1}{4} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \gamma_n (\frac{n \pi}{L})cos\frac{n\pi x}{L}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{2}{L}sin\frac{n\pi x'}{L}sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]

Now I am not sure what to do from here to get the required Green function...can someone guide me please?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me why you would use Fourier series. For all x except x', the Green's function satisfies [itex]G"+ \frac{1}{4}G'= 0[/itex] which has general solution
[tex]G(x)= A+ Be^{\frac{x}{4}}[/tex]
The Green's function must be of the form
[tex]G(x, x')= \left{\begin{array}{c}A+ Be^{\frac{x}{4}} if 0\le x\le x' \\C+ De^{\frac{x}{4}} if x'\le x\le L\end{array}[/tex]

A, B, C, D depend on x' and are chosen so that the boundary values are satisfied, the two "pieces" have the same value when x= x', and the difference in the derivative when x= x' (left side minus right) is 1: 4 conditions to determine 4 numbers.

Ok, let me try and from some equations from the conditions:

Condition 1.

[tex]G(0,x')=0=A+Be^0[/tex]
so A=-B

Conditon 2.

[tex]G(L,x')=0=C+De^{L/4}[/tex]

so[tex]C=-De^{L/4}[/tex]

Conditon 3:

[tex]Be^{x'/4}=De^{1/4(x'-L)}[/tex]

Condition 4.

[tex]\frac{Bx'(x-L)}{x-L}+B=1[/tex]

Does this look about right??

Thanks!

Last edited:
If, by "condition 1", "condition 2", etc. you mean
"A, B, C, D depend on x' and are chosen so that the boundary values are satisfied, the two "pieces" have the same value when x= x', and the difference in the derivative when x= x' (left side minus right) is 1." that I mentioned before, then your equations for "condition 1" and "condition 2" are correct.
For the third one, having the same value when x= x',
[tex]A+ Be^{\frac{x'}{4}}= C+ De^{\frac{x'}{4}}[/tex]

For the fourth, that the difference in left and right derivatives at x= x' be 1,
[tex]\frac{B}{4}e^{{x'}{4}}- \frac{D}{4}e^{{x'}{4}}= 1[/tex]

Thanks!

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by 4 conditions, but I was just borrowing your phrase '4 conditions to determine 4 numbers', so if I have used the phrase incorrectly I apologize.

I'll keep working on this.

In the last condition is that supposed to be 4e or is it a typo and supposed to be e/4?

1. What is a Green Function?

A Green Function is a mathematical tool used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) by expressing the solution as an integral involving the Green Function. It represents the response of a system to an impulse input at a specific point.

2. Why do we need to find the Green Function to solve ODEs?

The Green Function allows us to solve ODEs in a more general and efficient way, as it can be applied to a wide range of initial and boundary value problems. It also provides insight into the behavior of the system and can help us understand the physical meaning of the solution.

3. How is the Green Function related to the ODE?

The Green Function is the solution to a specific type of ODE called the homogeneous adjoint equation. The adjoint equation is obtained by reversing the roles of the independent and dependent variables in the original ODE. Therefore, the Green Function is intimately related to the ODE and provides a powerful way to solve it.

4. Are there different methods for finding the Green Function?

Yes, there are different methods for finding the Green Function depending on the type of ODE and the boundary conditions. Some common methods include the method of variation of parameters, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the method of integral transforms.

5. Can the Green Function be used for systems of ODEs?

Yes, the Green Function can also be used to solve systems of ODEs. In this case, the Green Function becomes a matrix and the solution to the system is expressed as a matrix integral involving the Green Function. This approach is particularly useful for studying the behavior of interconnected physical systems.