Calculate Deflection of Beam Under Point Load

In summary, to calculate deflection under a point load, you can search for beam loading equations or use the principle of superposition. There are also calculators available online, but make sure to use consistent units.
bravegers1
How do I calculate a deflection under a point load?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suggest doing a search for beam loading equations. There are many scenarios with published results already tabulated. If you can not find your particular boundary/initial conditions, you can utilize the principle of superposition.

Here are just a few: http://www.mae.usu.edu/faculty/stevef/info/beam_eq.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an acutal calculator. Remember to use consistant units, since Moments of inertia are in inches, all other units should be too, i.e. don't use pounds per foot for distributed loads.

http://www.aps.anl.gov/asd/me/Calculators/ElasticBeam2.html

What is the formula for calculating deflection of a beam under a point load?

The formula for calculating deflection of a beam under a point load is: δ = (PL^3)/(3EI), where δ is the deflection, P is the point load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

What is the significance of the modulus of elasticity in calculating deflection?

The modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation. It plays a crucial role in calculating deflection as it is used to determine the amount of stress a beam can withstand before it starts to deform.

Can deflection of a beam under a point load be negative?

Yes, deflection can be negative if the beam is experiencing a compressive force instead of a tensile force. This means that the beam is being pushed together instead of being pulled apart. Negative deflection is typically denoted with a minus sign (-) in the final calculation.

How does increasing the length of a beam affect the deflection under a point load?

Increasing the length of a beam will increase the deflection under a point load. This is because the longer the beam, the more it will bend when subjected to a point load. This relationship is captured in the formula for calculating deflection, where L is raised to the power of 3.

Is it possible to calculate deflection under multiple point loads?

Yes, it is possible to calculate deflection under multiple point loads. This can be done by breaking the beam into smaller sections and calculating the deflection for each section separately. The total deflection is then found by summing up the deflections of each section.