Heat Capacity Ethyl Acetate

In summary, the person is looking for the heat capacity of Ethyl Acetate as a function of temperature, specifically for temperature ranges of 298.15K to approximately 373.15K at a pressure of 1 bar. They have checked various sources but cannot find coefficients that fit into the equation Cp= A +BT+CT^2+DT^-2. The expert suggests using enthalpy and internal energy instead and provides coefficients for the equation Cp=α+βT+γT^2. They also mention a database that has these values but does not provide equations. The conversation ends with the expert giving the name of the database and providing a link to the coefficients for Cp=α+βT+γT
sicjeff
I need the heat capacity Ethyl Acetate as a function of temperature. I've seen books that give heat capacity as a function of functional group, but the problem is they are only at one temperature. What I basically need is some coefficients that would fit into the equation Cp= A +BT+CT^2+DT^-2. For this capacity, I can approximate Ethyl Acetate as a liquid operating from 298.15K to approximately 373.15K (I know this isn't realistic because the boiling point of ethyl acetate is around 350.25K).

I have already checked Perry's Handbook and other various thermochemical fluid properties texts, but I still can't find anything.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi sicjeff,
Can you be more specific? What pressure and what temperature range to you need?

Thanks for responding. I am running my reaction at temperature ranges of 298.15-373.15 K and my pressure will be in the area of 1 bar.

Hi sicjeff,
I have a computerized database that has these values in it, but it doesn't give equations. You can print out values and then do a curve fit though. Also, the database is in English units, so you'll need to convert to metric.

I'm assuming you mean a pressure of 1 bara, not 1 barg. If you need it for 1 barg, I can simply change the value and give you the same spreadsheet if you'd like.

At 1 bara, it shows a saturation temperature of roughly 170.85 F which is where the disjoint is in the spreadsheet.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Book1.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 356
sicjeff,
I'm not sure what you're using this for, but I suspect you're working out the equation so you can integrate it and determine the change of state between two temperatures, such as by adding X amount of heat.

You might consider simply using enthalpy and internal energy directly instead. They're generally much easier to work with IMO. Coming up with an equation for U or H as a function of temperature is just as easy as Cp.

Actually I'm doing reaction equillibria with the extended van't Hoff equation. Thank you so very much for your assistance.

Can I get the name of the database you are using if you don't mind?

If we say Cp=α+βT+γT^2 and Cp=a +bT+cT^-2, combined, we get your equation Cp=A+BT+CT^2+DT^-2. (Intro. to Chemical Engineering, Pavia, pp 127)

Since I couldn’t find coefficients for your derived formula, I looked up the coefficients of Cp=α+βT+γT^2. Basically Coefficient α = 7.235; Coefficient β= 0.4072; Coefficient γ =2.092E-04. Units of Cp are in kJ/kg-mol , Temperature in Kelvins.
http://www.cheric.org/kdb/kdb/hcprop/showcoef.php?cmpid=1059&prop=CPG

You see that there is another coefficient (Coefficient D), if Cp=α+βT+γT^2 was extended to another higher power.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the heat capacity of ethyl acetate?

The heat capacity of ethyl acetate, also known as ethyl ethanoate, is approximately 2.38 joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C). This value can vary slightly depending on the temperature range, but it is generally considered to be a low heat capacity compared to other substances.

2. Why is the heat capacity of ethyl acetate important?

The heat capacity of a substance is an important physical property that describes how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of that substance by a certain amount. In the case of ethyl acetate, its low heat capacity means that it does not require much energy to change its temperature, making it a good solvent for processes that involve heating and cooling.

3. How does the heat capacity of ethyl acetate compare to other solvents?

The heat capacity of ethyl acetate is relatively low compared to other solvents, such as water, which has a heat capacity of 4.18 J/g°C. This means that ethyl acetate will heat up and cool down more quickly than water when exposed to the same amount of heat energy.

4. Can the heat capacity of ethyl acetate change?

The heat capacity of ethyl acetate is a physical property that is generally considered to be constant. However, it can vary slightly depending on factors such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, if ethyl acetate is mixed with other substances, such as water, its heat capacity may change due to interactions between the molecules.

5. Is the heat capacity of ethyl acetate important in industrial processes?

Yes, the heat capacity of ethyl acetate is an important factor in many industrial processes that involve heating and cooling. Its low heat capacity makes it a desirable solvent for processes that require quick temperature changes, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals and in chemical reactions.