Amusement Park ride - maximum period of rotation

In summary: There are three forces acting on the person: the gravitational force, the normal force, and the centrifugal force.
avsj

Homework Statement

A 2.8m radius drum (cylinder) rotates such that a person does not fall when the "floor" falls away (imagine the person being pushed against the inside wall of the cylinder, with no bottom to the cylinder)

If the coefficient of friction between the person and the wall is 0.35, what is the maximum period of roation so that a personw ill not fall?

Homework Equations

Fg= mg
Ff=uFn

Fc = m4r(pi^2)/T^2
where T is period

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused with the directions of the forces. Fg will go down the inside wall, Fc is going inwards to the center, and Fn ...? But, Fn should = Fg, so Ff = umg

Then I thought to equate this umg to Fc, and solve for T but I don't get the correct answer, which is 2.0s

THanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
One way which I arrived at the right answer, was to start by setting Ff=Fg, and then setting Fn =Fc, but I am not sure if my reasoning for these directions is correct. In doing this, I got Fn= mg/u which ended up giving me the correct period. So Fn isn't always opposite in direction of Fg? IS it the case that Ff is always parallel to the surface and Fn perpendicular?

THanks

avsj said:
I am confused with the directions of the forces. Fg will go down the inside wall, Fc is going inwards to the center, and Fn ...?
Realize that the normal force is the centripetal force.

avsj said:
One way which I arrived at the right answer, was to start by setting Ff=Fg, and then setting Fn =Fc, but I am not sure if my reasoning for these directions is correct. In doing this, I got Fn= mg/u which ended up giving me the correct period.
This is correct.
So Fn isn't always opposite in direction of Fg?
That's right. Fn is the force between two surfaces, in this case the person and the wall. (You might be thinking of the more typical case of a person on the ground.)

IS it the case that Ff is always parallel to the surface and Fn perpendicular?
This is true.

What might be helpful is to identify the actual forces acting on the person. I count three forces. (Note: "Centripetal Force" doesn't count--specify the actual forces that provide the centripetal force. Centripetal just means "toward the center".)

1. What is the maximum period of rotation for amusement park rides?

The maximum period of rotation for amusement park rides varies depending on the specific ride and its design. However, most rides have a maximum period of rotation of around 2 minutes.

2. Why is the maximum period of rotation important for amusement park rides?

The maximum period of rotation is important for amusement park rides because it ensures the safety of riders. If a ride rotates for too long, it can cause dizziness, nausea, and other discomfort for riders.

3. How is the maximum period of rotation determined for amusement park rides?

The maximum period of rotation is determined by ride designers and engineers during the design phase. They take into account factors such as the ride's speed, weight, and size to determine a safe and enjoyable maximum period of rotation.

4. Is the maximum period of rotation the same for all amusement park rides?

No, the maximum period of rotation can vary greatly depending on the type of ride. Roller coasters, for example, typically have shorter maximum periods of rotation compared to spinning or swinging rides.

5. Can the maximum period of rotation be adjusted for different riders?

In some cases, the maximum period of rotation can be adjusted for different riders. For example, some rides may have different settings or speeds that can be controlled by the operator to accommodate riders with different comfort levels.