Digital Voltage Meter circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a microcontroller in experiments and the desire to add a feature for voltage measurements. The speaker is looking for a digital volt meter IC with a voltage reading range of 500-1000V and suggests the ICL7103A/ICL8052A chips as a solution.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I am working on a microcontroller-based control circuit that can generate different frequencies for experiments I am working on, but I also want to add a feature that allows the microcontroller to take voltage measurements from my test setups.

The 68HC12 controller board I am using does have several A/D converter channels on it but I am wondering if there are any dedicated digital volt meter ICs out there that can take the actual measurements and send back a binary value to my controller. The other reason I don't want to use the microcontroller itself is for isolation reasons. some of the tests I will do could involve voltages as high as 500-1000V so I am really looking for a chip that has the same voltage reading range as a standard DVM. All voltage readings would be DC to keep things simple (see attached diagram). Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason O

Attachments

• Test Circuit.GIF
    Test Circuit.GIF
    2.8 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The ICL7103A/ICL8052A chips can do that for you.

What is a Digital Voltage Meter circuit?

A Digital Voltage Meter circuit is an electronic device that measures the voltage of a circuit and displays it in a digital format. It is used to accurately measure the voltage of a power source or device.

How does a Digital Voltage Meter circuit work?

A Digital Voltage Meter circuit works by using an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) to convert the analog voltage signal into a digital value which is then displayed on a digital screen. The circuit also includes a microcontroller, resistors, capacitors, and other components to ensure accuracy and stability.

What are the advantages of using a Digital Voltage Meter circuit?

Some advantages of using a Digital Voltage Meter circuit include its high accuracy, ability to display the voltage in a digital format, and its compact size. It also eliminates the need for manual calculations and can be used for various voltage ranges.

Can a Digital Voltage Meter circuit measure different types of voltage?

Yes, a Digital Voltage Meter circuit can measure both AC and DC voltages. However, the circuit may need to be designed specifically for the type of voltage being measured, as they have different measurement methods and requirements.

What are the potential applications of a Digital Voltage Meter circuit?

A Digital Voltage Meter circuit can be used in a variety of applications such as power supply testing, battery testing, electronic equipment troubleshooting, and voltage regulation. It is also commonly used in laboratories, industrial settings, and in household appliances.