Boost Your AI Project Ideas for a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science

• Thread starter SF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ai Idea
In summary, creating a small, elegant and finished project is recommended for a Bachelor's degree AI project in Computer Science. One idea is to create a software pet that can learn tasks through praise and scolding, using a "text adventure" interface. Another idea is to use robots, such as LEGO or iRobot, and improve on their search algorithm. This approach allows for the study and understanding of existing technology. An OCR program for character recognition or a captcha breaker could also be potential AI techniques to explore.
SF
I need to create an AI project for a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and I'd welcome some ideas.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
First idea: don't think too big, it's easy to do in general but more so with AI. If you do, your project will grow beyond reason, using up all your time with negative impact on your other classes and activities. A smallish, elegant and (importantly) finished project is more satisfying and earns better marks.

Second idea: you don't have to address human thought, you cannot simulate the human mind anyways. Why not think of a dog? Like that Tamaguci/DigiPet fad a few years back. Write a software pet that can learn a few arbitrary tasks through praise and scolding. Each task is a sequence of basic steps that your pet is innately able to do: walking, jumping, grabbing... Your program let's the user train the pet to learn an arbitrary sequence of these on command. Learning is a sign of intelligence. Unlike the DigiPet, graphics are not needed. A "text adventure" interface should suffice. If you finish early you can add frills later.

I can also use robots (LEGO, iRobot or a Ridgesoft one).
Think I can make an interesting thing using that? Training a virtual pet?

Any idea on what kind of AI technique I could use? Maybe a neural net?

You could do an OCR program for character recognition. Maybe for example a captcha breaker.

SF said:
I can also use robots (LEGO, iRobot

iRobot... Hmmm... I have one of their Roomba cleaner and it works pretty well. One of their blurbs says it behaves somewhat like a bug that looks for food (except that here it looks for dust), following walls at times, going random at other times. Maybe you could improve on the search algorithm. And this could be a different approach to your project: instead of creating something from scratch, you can look into something that already exists, study and understand it, then bring about some creative improvement. It doesn't have to be an iRobot product either, these just made me think of this other possibility. Email the company(ies) to get a start on some existing technology if you decide to go this way.

1. What is the purpose of boosting AI project ideas for a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science?

The purpose of boosting AI project ideas for a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science is to enhance the students' understanding and skills in the field of Artificial Intelligence. It provides them with hands-on experience in working on real-world problems and implementing AI solutions, which can be beneficial for their academic and professional growth.

2. How can boosting AI project ideas benefit a student's career in Computer Science?

Boosting AI project ideas can benefit a student's career in Computer Science in several ways. It can help them develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and programming skills, which are highly sought after in the job market. It also allows them to gain practical experience and showcase their abilities to potential employers, making them more competitive in the field of AI and Computer Science.

3. Are there any specific areas of AI that students can focus on when boosting their project ideas?

Yes, there are various areas of AI that students can focus on when boosting their project ideas. Some popular areas include machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, and robotics. However, students can also explore other emerging areas such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, and AI ethics, depending on their interests and career goals.

4. Can boosting AI project ideas be done individually or do students need to work in a team?

Boosting AI project ideas can be done individually or in a team, depending on the requirements of the project. Some projects may require students to work in a team to bring together different expertise and skills, while others may be suitable for individual work. Both approaches have their benefits, and students can choose based on their preferences and project requirements.

5. How can students find inspiration for their AI project ideas?

Students can find inspiration for their AI project ideas through various sources. They can start by researching current trends and advancements in the field of AI, attending conferences and workshops, and discussing ideas with their peers and professors. They can also look for real-world problems and try to come up with AI solutions to address them. Additionally, online communities and platforms such as Kaggle and GitHub can provide students with access to a wide range of AI projects and resources to help spark their creativity.