Is it Possible to Make Clear Acrylic CD-ROM Covers?

• Thread starter sweetjones
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for clear components for their new rig, specifically cd-roms and floppy drives. They have already found a clear PSU, mouse, and keyboard, but question the feasibility of a clear CDROM drive due to the hazards of the laser. They also acknowledge the diminishing use of floppy drives.
sweetjones
Hello,
I'm planning to build a new rig and I want most of my components to be clear. Does anyone have any info on where I can get cd-roms with a clear casing and floppy drives with a clear cover also? I've actually found a psu with a clear casing so I'm sure there's other components such as cd-roms. I've also found a mouse and a keyboard. Thanx In Advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would have thought a clear CDROM drive is unlikely.
The laser in a CD is quite bright, to make the equipement Class I ( ie. eyesafe) you have to ensure that the user cannot see the laser.
In theory you could make it out of a plastic that absorbed 905nm while transmitting visible but that would be very expensive and you would have a job persuading the certifiction authorities.

Do you want a floppy drive these days?

mgb_phys said:
I would have thought a clear CDROM drive is unlikely.
The laser in a CD is quite bright, to make the equipement Class I ( ie. eyesafe) you have to ensure that the user cannot see the laser.
In theory you could make it out of a plastic that absorbed 905nm while transmitting visible but that would be very expensive and you would have a job persuading the certifiction authorities.

Do you want a floppy drive these days?

Damn! I didn't even think about that. The laser is pretty hazardous. Well, I figured a clear case was possible because they sell the front bezels for the cd-roms. You are also right about the floppy drives. LOL!

1. What are clear acrylic CD-ROM covers?

Clear acrylic CD-ROM covers are protective cases made from transparent acrylic material designed to fit CD-ROM discs.

2. Why are clear acrylic CD-ROM covers used?

Clear acrylic CD-ROM covers are used to protect CD-ROM discs from scratches, dust, and other potential damage. They also provide a professional and polished look for CD-ROMs.

3. How do I use a clear acrylic CD-ROM cover?

To use a clear acrylic CD-ROM cover, simply insert the CD-ROM into the cover and snap it shut. The cover should securely hold the disc in place.

4. Can clear acrylic CD-ROM covers be reused?

Yes, clear acrylic CD-ROM covers can be reused multiple times as long as they are not damaged or cracked.

5. Are clear acrylic CD-ROM covers environmentally friendly?

Clear acrylic CD-ROM covers can be recycled, but they are not biodegradable. However, they are more durable and long-lasting compared to other plastic materials, reducing the need for frequent replacements.