Troubleshooting Comsol 3.4 Installation and Uninstallation

• Thread starter gganendra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comsol
In summary, the newbie is having trouble installing Comsol 3.4 and is asking for help. He is trying to uninstall the program but is unsuccessful. He is also having trouble finding the comsol.opts file.
gganendra
Hi everybody, newbie here...

im doing a modelling work with comsol and have a problem of solving using navier-stoke equation for the boundary. is it possible to discretize the boundary condition into several parts and apply different condition in each segment?

thank you beforehand,

Technology news on Phys.org
I have never tried NS but I am familiar with the COMSOL environment.
You can definitely apply different BC to different physical boundaries.
Reading between the lines I take it that you have a smooth boundary that you wish to divide?
This is done at the drawing stage, e.g. if you have a rectangular plane you can divide it using lines.

I'm curious about your reasons for doing this... normally if this was part of your problem specification you would have done this at the beginning.

thank you, i am doing modelling of biofilm growth on a rough surface which is influenced by hydrodynamic stress. I am using comsol 3.3 script, it is more comfortable than using comsol multiphysics

thank you

Hi everyone... i am new user of COMSOL multiphysics... I have to model the heat transfer between an electromeagnetic wave and solid material... ie i have to get a model to explain homework an em wave is used to heat up a material...can anyone help me in doing this...

Please describe the experimental setup completely.

Hi gokul...actually i want to model the energy coupling between a electromagnetic source and solid material...

that is , i have to model how a solid material is heated using any em source...for instance any infra red source (any light bulb) is used to heat a material say Silicon... how can i model the heat transfer from the bulb to silicon and then i have to plot the temperature variation vs time...
i tried heating the material with a heating element specified in comsol library and tat seems working...but nw i have to replace tat solid heating element by a electromagnetic source...
can u pls help me

I'll have to look. I don't recall seeing a module that can do this, but I may be wrong.

@ gokul...ya even i didnt see any model to do this...but if you go to comsol.com website and see for the heat transfer models in the model gallery there is an example which they have mentioned...its about thermal annealing of silicon waffer using indirect IR lamp...but unfortunatly we don't have access for any further info on that...
so i think it is possible to do model my problem...but i have no idea homework to do...is it in PDE application mode?
pls reply if u find out any info on my model...

Hello everybody
I have a problem with Comsol 3.4 installation, it doesn't run after the installation is finished.
I get the following COMSOL Error: "No class com/femlab/gui/Femlab on classpath."
I've tried to uninstall but also unsuccessful, I get the message:"EXIT FAILURE: Failed to load uninstallation components." and "Can't find comsol.opts file".
The question is whether there is a solution to uninstall the program and where the comsol.opts file has to be placed so it could be found during the uninstallation (I have the file but I don't know the directory where it should be placed)

I'll appreciate your help.

Last edited:

1. What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of fluid substances, such as liquids and gases. It takes into account factors such as fluid density, viscosity, and velocity to determine the forces acting on the fluid and how it will move.

2. What is the significance of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is important in many fields of science and engineering, including fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and oceanography. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in a wide range of applications.

3. What is COMSOL Multiphysics?

COMSOL Multiphysics is a software platform that allows for the simulation and analysis of various physical phenomena, including fluid dynamics. It uses the finite element method to solve partial differential equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equation, for a wide range of engineering and scientific applications.

4. Can COMSOL Multiphysics solve the Navier-Stokes equation?

Yes, COMSOL Multiphysics has the capability to solve the Navier-Stokes equation and other related equations for fluid flow. It uses advanced numerical methods and allows for customizable simulations to accurately model complex fluid behavior.

5. What are some common applications of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is used in a variety of applications, including designing efficient aerodynamic shapes for airplanes, predicting weather patterns, optimizing fluid flow in industrial processes, and understanding blood flow in the human body. It is also commonly used in the development of new technologies, such as wind turbines and fuel cells.