Linux drivers for ATI chipset

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the graphic acceleration stopped working after the upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10. You tried to install the drivers but didn't succeed. You installed the package xorg-xserver-fglrx-ati and it worked.
vincentm
ATI mobility RV250 FireGL 9000 chipset

Ive tried envy, I've tried the opensource ones, nothing works, this all got messed up when i did a apt-get dist-upgrade from7.04 to 7.10

So i need to reinstall the drivers, but don't know where to get them nor install them.

i've posted in ubuntuforums.org and not one single bit of help. so this is my last chance.

i'm willing to allow someone to SSH into my system do them for me, all i want to do is play urban Terror 4 on this laptop.

Either that or I'm going back to Windows...

Computer science news on Phys.org
Let me see if i got it right:
You had it all working correctly, then you made the upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10, and the graphic acceleration stopped working?

how did you install the drivers last time?
did you use the restricted driver module, the installer from ATI's site, envy...?

what exactly have you tried up until now?
what do you get from this command:
lsmod
(try filtering it using | grep <the word you're looking for> - look for fglrx, ati, fireGL... i don't know how the module for FireGL is called...)

dmesg
(look for these words here too)

fglrxinfo
(if you got fglrx installed...)

glxinfo

I have only installed a Radeon x1950 pro, and it was pretty easy... I don't know how much supported is your chipset... from the looks of ATI's page - it's not supported by them... and i have no experience with the open source drivers... so, I'll do my best to give you Ideas, but you will have to do some detective work too and post all the information you can put your hands on...
maybe the xorg.conf file can help us too...

I've since installed the

xorg-xserver-fglrx-ati ( can't remember the exact name, I am here at work)

package, after completely removing everything fglrx from synaptic, then reconfiguring my xorg.conf and choose 'ati'.

the problem lied in fglrx conflicting with compiz so I've uninstalled that, and performed the above step and it seems to be ok now, I've not tried to reinstall compiz or anything yet.

Last edited:

1. What is a Linux driver for ATI chipset?

A Linux driver for ATI chipset is a software program that allows the Linux operating system to communicate with and control the hardware components of an ATI chipset, such as graphics cards or integrated graphics processors. It acts as an intermediary between the operating system and the hardware, allowing them to work together seamlessly.

2. Why do I need a Linux driver for ATI chipset?

You need a Linux driver for ATI chipset to ensure that your ATI hardware components are recognized and utilized by the Linux operating system. Without a driver, the hardware may not function properly or at all, leading to issues like poor graphics performance or system crashes.

3. Where can I find a Linux driver for ATI chipset?

You can typically find Linux drivers for ATI chipset on the official website of the manufacturer, such as AMD. You can also check for updates and download drivers through the software update tool in your Linux distribution.

4. How do I install a Linux driver for ATI chipset?

The installation process may vary depending on your Linux distribution and the specific driver you are installing. However, it typically involves downloading the driver file, running a command to make it executable, and then running the installer. Some distributions also have a graphical interface for installing drivers.

5. Are Linux drivers for ATI chipset open-source?

Yes, Linux drivers for ATI chipset are typically open-source, meaning they are freely available to be viewed, modified, and distributed by anyone. This allows for a more collaborative and community-driven approach to driver development, often resulting in improved performance and compatibility.

Back