Have You Read Weinberg's Cosmology Yet?

• Thread starter superpoincare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, Weinberg's new cosmology textbook was released at the end of last month in the UK and is now available for purchase on Amazon. It is a graduate level book that requires a strong background in GR and quantum field theory. Despite being in India, the speaker was able to purchase the book from Amazon UK due to slow delivery from Amazon US. It is published by Oxford University Press and the speaker is a big Weinberg fan.
superpoincare
Weinberg's Cosmology has come out and in fact I have it! Bought it from amazon.com...Reviewed it too!

Get it !

Space news on Phys.org
Odd - it's still listed as pre-order for june on amazon.com - you haven't been playing with that time machine again have you?

ps. This is a graduate level GR class book right? Not like the "first three minutes".

Last edited:
Yes its the new Text on cosmology which starts with equations like the Robertson Walker metric! Its available at www.amazon.com -- the uk site... not amazon.com

Last edited:
In fact it got released about 15-20 days back...Amazon delivery was slow... I stay in India...

mgb_phys said:
Odd - it's still listed as pre-order for june on amazon.com - you haven't been playing with that time machine again have you?
It was released in the UK at the end of last month.

ps. This is a graduate level GR class book right? Not like the "first three minutes".
Yes, I'd say it was a graduate level book, but I think it's more of a Cosmology book than a GR book. I've not looked at it (since I've not found a bookshop that stocks it, and it's a bit too pricey to buy blind)) but I imagine it requires a firm background in GR.

superpoincare: are you getting commission?

Last edited:
Cristo... seriously asking me about commisions... mmm.. nope man .. I am a big Weinberg fan... I have read most parts of the quantum field theory texts... I am no longer in Physics (dropped out) and just wanted to share the excitement with some physicists...

Thanks, Odd that it was published in the UK first - we normally have to wait an extra month for anything that isn't Harry Potter!

Why odd?? Cambridge University Press

superpoincare said:
Cristo... seriously asking me about commisions... mmm.. nope man .. I am a big Weinberg fan... I have read most parts of the quantum field theory texts... I am no longer in Physics (dropped out) and just wanted to share the excitement with some physicists...
I was only joking, don't take it too seriously! Thanks for letting us know, anyway.

mgb_phys said:
Thanks, Odd that it was published in the UK first - we normally have to wait an extra month for anything that isn't Harry Potter!
Yea, tell me about it! Still, it is published by Oxford University Press, so it's only fair we get it first.

I think I am the first buyer of the book! I was regularly tracking it at amazon and one fine day it turned from preorder to available!

1. What is the main subject of Weinberg's book?

The main subject of Weinberg's book is the history and development of science, with a focus on the contributions of various scientists and their impact on the world.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is anyone interested in the history of science, from students to professionals in the field.

3. Is this book suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, while the book does discuss scientific concepts, it is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists and does not require a deep understanding of science to appreciate.

4. What makes "Weinberg's Book" stand out from other books on the history of science?

Weinberg's Book is unique in its focus on the impact of science on society and its exploration of the ethical and moral implications of scientific discoveries.

5. Can I learn about current scientific developments from this book?

While the main focus of the book is on the history of science, it does touch on some recent developments and their potential impact on the future of science and society.