Solving g(x, n) and Finding Integers in f(x)

• Thread starter epkid08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, g(x,n) is the remainder of x divided by n. For functions that only have integer values for certain inputs, such as f(x)=\sqrt{x} or f(x)=log_a(x), the input must also be an integer. However, for other functions like ln(x) and sin(x), substitution may be necessary to determine if there exists an integer input that yields an integer value. The notation a mod b is commonly used to represent the remainder of integer division, while a%b is often used in programming and other non-mathematical contexts.
epkid08
Is there a better way to write this:

[tex]g(x, n) = D(\frac{x}{n})*(n)[/tex]

Where D(h), unless already a decimal, expands h into a sum of its places i.e. 47=40+7, then subtracts all of the terms that are greater than or equal to one.

Also, if I have a function, say [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x}[/tex], and I only wanted the integer values of x that made f(x) an integer, is there a different way of writing this, where I wouldn't have to plug in and check?(this goes for any function, where irrationality is possible or not)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
g(x,n) is the remainder of [tex]\frac{x}{n}[/tex], if x and n are integers.

For f(x)=[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex], it is possible [x=(f(x))[SUP]2[/SUP], f(x)>0; i.e. if f(x) is an integer, then x is an integer].

Another example would be f(x) = loga (x) [a>0 is an integer]; with x=af(x), so if f(x) is an integer, then x is also an integer.

But it is not possible for EVERY function, such as ln(x), sin(x), etc. For these, you would need to substitute and find out if they work (if there were an integer that would yield an integer value).

ForMyThunder said:
g(x,n) is the remainder of [tex]\frac{x}{n}[/tex], if x and n are integers.

Is there any special notation to represent the remainder of integer division?

Is there any special notation (I thought there was here) to represent the remainder of integer division multiplied by the denominator integer?

epkid08 said:
Is there any special notation to represent the remainder of integer division?

Is there any special notation (I thought there was here) to represent the remainder of integer division multiplied by the denominator integer?

a mod b
gives the remainder when a is divided by b

To put it another way, [tex] a \equiv b (mod m) \Leftrightarrow m|(a-b) \Leftrightarrow a = km + b [/tex]

Thus, a and b have the same remainder upon division by m.

ForMyThunder said:
a mod b
gives the remainder when a is divided by b

Yes, and that's sometimes written a%b, just like [itex]a\times b[/itex] is sometimes written a*b.

CRGreathouse said:
Yes, and that's sometimes written a%b, just like [itex]a\times b[/itex] is sometimes written a*b.

Isn't the a%b notation usually used in computer programming? I just didn't think they used it much in mathematics.

ForMyThunder said:
Isn't the a%b notation usually used in computer programming? I just didn't think they used it much in mathematics.

% and * are both used in programming, in emails, and other places where a rich symbol set is not easily available.

What is g(x, n)?

g(x, n) is a mathematical function that takes in two variables, x and n, and outputs a value based on the relationship between the two variables.

How do I solve g(x, n)?

To solve g(x, n), you will need to substitute the given values for x and n into the function and perform the necessary mathematical operations to find the output value. This may involve simplifying, factoring, or using other algebraic techniques.

What are integers in f(x)?

Integers in f(x) refer to the whole numbers or counting numbers (positive or negative) that are part of the function f(x). These can be represented by dots on a number line and are used to describe the behavior of the function.

How do I find integers in f(x)?

To find integers in f(x), you will need to look at the graph of the function or the equation itself. Integers will appear as points on the graph or as whole numbers in the equation. You can also plug in different values for x to see which outputs result in integers.

Why is solving g(x, n) and finding integers in f(x) important?

Solving g(x, n) and finding integers in f(x) are important in understanding the behavior and patterns of mathematical functions. These concepts can help in solving real-world problems and making predictions based on data. They are also important in many fields of science and technology, including physics, engineering, and computer science.