Weight Density and Mass Density

In summary: This could be due to rounding errors, but it is worth double checking the calculations to make sure they are accurate. And the units should be Newtons/cubic meters for weight density and kg/cubic meters for mass density. In summary, the conversation discussed measuring weight, mass, and volume of objects, and calculating the weight density and mass density using the given equations. The units for weight density were determined to be Newtons/cubic meters and kg/cubic meters for mass density. The accuracy of the calculations was questioned and it was suggested to double check for potential errors.
GreenEyedGal3

Homework Statement

I measured the weight(in Newtons), mass(in Kilograms), and volume(in cubic meters) of some objects. Then I tried to calculate the mass density and the weight density of the objects.

Homework Equations

Weight Density = weight/volume

Mass Density = mass/volume

ex. weight density of object one ... 2.00 N / 2.55x10-5 m3 = 78431 ??
mass density of object one ... .204kg / 2.55x10-5 m3 = 8000 ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found my numeric answers but i do not know what units the weight density and mass density are measured in. Would the weight density be measured in Newtons/ cubic meters and the mass density in kg/ cubic meters?

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenEyedGal3 said:

Homework Statement

I measured the weight(in Newtons), mass(in Kilograms), and volume(in cubic meters) of some objects. Then I tried to calculate the mass density and the weight density of the objects.

Homework Equations

Weight Density = weight/volume

Mass Density = mass/volume

ex. weight density of object one ... 2.00 N / 2.55x10-5 m3 = 78431 ??
mass density of object one ... .204kg / 2.55x10-5 m3 = 8000 ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found my numeric answers but i do not know what units the weight density and mass density are measured in. Would the weight density be measured in Newtons/ cubic meters and the mass density in kg/ cubic meters?
Yes, those would be the unit's to use. However, you may want to re-check your calculations.

I keep getting the same thing on my calculations. Should i round to the right number of significant digits or should i change my calculator from degrees to radians?

Hootenanny said:
However, you may want to re-check your calculations.
The calculations look fine. Are you hinting about the numbers? It looks to me like the OP was using stainless steel.

GreenEyedGal3 said:
should i change my calculator from degrees to radians?
What makes you think that this will make any difference?

D H said:
The calculations look fine. Are you hinting about the numbers? It looks to me like the OP was using stainless steel.
I was referring to the disparity between the weight of the object and the given mass multiplied by g:

(0.204*9.81)/(2.55*10-5) = 78480

1. What is the difference between weight density and mass density?

Weight density refers to the amount of weight per unit volume of a substance, while mass density refers to the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. Weight density takes into account the force of gravity, while mass density is an intrinsic property of a substance and remains constant regardless of the force of gravity.

2. How are weight density and mass density related?

Weight density and mass density are related through the formula: weight density = mass density x gravitational acceleration. This means that as the gravitational acceleration changes, the weight density will also change. However, the mass density will remain constant.

3. How is weight density measured?

Weight density is typically measured in units of force per unit volume, such as pounds per cubic inch or newtons per cubic meter. It can be measured using a scale to determine the weight of a specific volume of a substance, or by calculating the weight density using the formula mentioned in the previous answer.

4. What factors affect mass density and weight density?

Mass density is primarily affected by the composition of a substance and its temperature. Different substances have different mass densities due to the arrangement of their particles. Weight density, on the other hand, is affected by the force of gravity and the mass density of the substance.

5. How does the density of a substance affect its properties?

The density of a substance can affect its properties in various ways. For example, substances with higher densities tend to sink in liquids with lower densities, and vice versa. Density can also affect the buoyancy of objects, with denser objects sinking and less dense objects floating. Additionally, density can also affect the strength and durability of materials, as well as their ability to conduct heat and electricity.