Creating Multiple Output Files in Fortran

In summary, to output multiple files with names dependent on integer variables in the program, you can use a character variable and a loop to create the filenames. Be mindful of leading zeroes if the numeric part of the filename has varying digits.
wooly
Hi guys,

I am tryin to get my program to output multiple files with the name of the file dependent on a number of integer variables in the program, any help with this would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers

Technology news on Phys.org
You can try something along these lines (for F77).
Take care about the leading zeroes if you have different number of digits in the numeric part of the file.

Code:
      character*12 filename
      character*1 num
      do 20 I=1,9
      write(num,999)I
 999  format(I1)
      filename='A'//num//'.dat'
      print *,filename
      open(unit=5,file=filename, status='unknown')
   20 continue

Output:
Code:
A1.dat
A2.dat
A3.dat
A4.dat
A5.dat
A6.dat
A7.dat
A8.dat
A9.dat

Hello,

There are a few ways to approach creating multiple output files in Fortran. One way is to use the "OPEN" statement with the "FILE" keyword to specify the name of the output file. You can use string concatenation to dynamically create the file name based on the integer variables in your program. Another option is to use the "WRITE" statement with the "UNIT" keyword to specify the output unit number, which can also be based on the integer variables in your program.

Additionally, you may want to consider using a loop to iterate through your integer variables and create multiple output files within the same program run. This can be done by using the "DO" loop or a similar construct.

I hope this helps and good luck with your program!

1. How can I create multiple output files in Fortran?

To create multiple output files in Fortran, you can use the OPEN statement with the FILE specifier to specify the name of the output file. You can also use the WRITE statement to write data to the output file, and the CLOSE statement to close the file once you are finished writing.

2. Can I create multiple output files in a single Fortran program?

Yes, you can create multiple output files in a single Fortran program by using the OPEN, WRITE, and CLOSE statements multiple times with different file names and specifiers. It is important to make sure that the file names and specifiers are unique to avoid overwriting previous output files.

3. How can I specify the format for writing data to an output file in Fortran?

You can use the FORMAT specifier in the WRITE statement to specify the format for writing data to an output file in Fortran. This allows you to control the appearance of the data in the output file, such as the number of decimal places or the use of scientific notation.

4. Is there a limit to the number of output files that I can create in Fortran?

The number of output files that you can create in Fortran is limited by the available memory and file system resources on your computer. However, it is good practice to limit the number of output files to only what is necessary to avoid excessive memory usage and potential errors.

5. How can I check if an output file was successfully created in Fortran?

You can use the IOSTAT specifier in the OPEN statement to check the status of an output file creation in Fortran. If the value of IOSTAT is 0, then the file was successfully created. If it is a negative value, then there was an error in creating the file.