How can I test my loudspeaker for sound output in Fortran?

In summary, the conversation is about producing a sound using Fortran. One person suggests using the "print *, char(7)" command, but it doesn't work on the other person's computer. The other person recommends checking the loudspeaker and suggests different ways to test it depending on the operating system.
jpapa
Hello,

i want to produce a sound, for example a simple beep, with fortran. Can anyone help me please?

John

Technology news on Phys.org
Have you tried something like this, it works on my computer:

Code:
      print *, char(7)
      STOP
      END

Last edited:
mathmate said:
Have you tried something like this, it works on my computer:

Code:
      print *, char(7)
      STOP
      END

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my computer. Any other ideas?

John

I would verify the loudspeaker before going further.
Sometimes it may be defective, turned off, volume too low, or the CPU is too far to be heard.
If you are using Windows, there are utilities to test it. On my computer, I do not even have external speakers, just the one integrated in the computer case. Either way, I would check it first. If you are using unix or linux, you can try "echo ctrl-g". On Windows, you can try the utility from "Sound" in control-panel, or on a DOS-screen, type in "type ctrl-g". Note that ctrl-g is the key-combination, not the individual letters.

What is Fortran?

Fortran is a high-level programming language commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It was first developed in the 1950s and has undergone several revisions since then. It is known for its efficient processing of mathematical and scientific calculations.

How is Fortran used in sound analysis?

Fortran can be used to process and analyze sound data by utilizing its high-performance computing capabilities. It can handle large amounts of data and perform complex calculations, making it useful for tasks such as signal processing, audio synthesis, and acoustic modeling.

What are the advantages of using Fortran for sound analysis?

One major advantage of using Fortran for sound analysis is its speed and efficiency. Fortran is designed for scientific computing and can handle large data sets and complex mathematical operations quickly and accurately. It also has a long history in scientific research, making it a trusted and reliable choice for sound analysis tasks.

Are there any drawbacks to using Fortran for sound analysis?

One potential drawback of using Fortran for sound analysis is its steep learning curve. As a high-level programming language, it may take some time for beginners to become proficient in Fortran. Additionally, some modern sound analysis techniques may require the use of other programming languages or software tools.

What are some examples of sound analysis programs written in Fortran?

Some examples of sound analysis programs written in Fortran include Common Lisp Music (CLM), SuperCollider, and Sonic Visualiser. These programs use Fortran for their mathematical and signal processing capabilities, allowing for advanced sound analysis and manipulation.