Reducing Agents and their relative strengths

• Thread starter kc262
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of ranking different species according to their relative strength as reducing agents, using a table of standard reduction potentials. The individual is struggling with the concept and seeks help in understanding the correct method of determining the order. It is emphasized that the most powerful reducing agent would be given rank "1", and the least "6". The conversation also points out errors in the individual's attempt at a solution, specifically in the ranking of fluoride and metallic potassium. The individual is advised to start by writing the reducing half reactions and then using the table to determine the correct order.
kc262

Homework Statement

This question should be quite simple. Yet I am getting it wrong. It it's really frustrating. Can someone see what I'm doing wrong? Or maybe it's because my concepts are messed up.

Assuming standard conditions, and considering the table of standard reduction potentials for half-reactions, given in your text, rank the following species according to their relative strength as reducing agents. For example, the most powerful reducing agent would be given rank "1", and the least "6".

Homework Equations

A link for a Standard reduction potential table is here: http://www.jesuitnola.org/upload/clark/refs/red_pot.htm

The Attempt at a Solution

The order I got was 4,3,2,5,1,6 ( F-, Fe2+, I-, Cd, Zn, K)
Reasoning is that the reducing agent is oxidized and therefore loses the electrons. So looking at the standard reduction potential table, I got my voltage values from there, and changed the signs where I needed to. But i keep getting it wrong. Help and a push in the right direction would be fantastic. =]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kc262 said:
...the most powerful reducing agent would be given rank "1", and the least "6".

...The order I got was 4,3,2,5,1,6 ( F-, Fe2+, I-, Cd, Zn, K)

You have fluoride as the fourth strongest reducing agent. It's pretty difficult to remove that electron! (ie. it's a TERRIBLE reducing agent).

You have metallic potassium as the LEAST reducing! That couldn't be more wrong. (unless lithium were also on the list)

You need to start by writing for yourself the reducing half reactions. Only then are you to use the tables...

I would say that your reasoning is correct. However, it is important to note that the standard reduction potential table only provides a relative measure of the strength of reducing agents. It is possible that there are other factors at play that could affect the strength of a reducing agent in a specific reaction.

In order to confirm your answer, I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure that you are using the correct signs for the standard reduction potentials. It may also be helpful to review the concept of standard reduction potentials and how they are used to determine the relative strength of reducing agents.

If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking help from a classmate, professor, or tutor to go over the problem with you and identify any errors. Sometimes, having a fresh perspective can help pinpoint where you may have gone wrong.

1. What is a reducing agent?

A reducing agent is a substance that causes another substance to gain electrons in a chemical reaction. This leads to a decrease in the oxidation state of the substance, hence the term "reducing" agent.

2. How do reducing agents work?

Reducing agents work by donating electrons to a substance that is being oxidized. This transfer of electrons helps to balance out the charges in the reaction and allows for the formation of new bonds.

3. What are the relative strengths of reducing agents?

The relative strength of a reducing agent is determined by its ability to donate electrons. This can be influenced by factors such as the electronegativity of the element and the availability of electrons in its outermost energy level.

4. How are reducing agents used in industry?

Reducing agents are commonly used in industrial processes to reduce the oxidation state of substances, which can result in the formation of new products or the purification of materials. They are also used in metallurgy for extracting metals from their ores.

5. Can reducing agents be harmful?

Yes, some reducing agents can be harmful if not handled properly. For example, strong reducing agents such as lithium aluminum hydride can react violently with water or other substances and may cause burns or other injuries. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with reducing agents.