Looking for software recommendations

• Thread starter byee614
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the speaker is looking for a program to manipulate and analyze a database of MLB games. They want to be able to filter, sort, write formulas, and calculate regression lines quickly. They are considering using a more math-oriented program like Matlab or R, or a database-oriented system like SQL. However, the expert summarizer notes that SQL may not be suitable for the type of calculations needed.
byee614
I have a database in Excel of MLB games for the past 10 years. It's around 22,000 games. I am looking for a program that I can use to manipulate this data, filter/sort based on certain criteria, write formulas, plot graphs, calculate regression lines, etc. I want to be able to input a few pieces of data and have it spit out graphs, equations, and regression lines quickly.

I know Excel can do most of this but some of the calculations take a long time. I was hoping there would be a faster, more math oriented program. Would Matlab be good? My friend thought a database oriented system like SQL would work. Are there any other suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A SQL database could store the information, but they're not geared toward that kind of calculation.

Maybe R?

What is the best software for my specific needs?

The best software for your specific needs will depend on several factors such as your budget, the features you require, and the platform you are using. It is important to research and compare different software options to find the one that best fits your needs.

Are there any free software options available?

Yes, there are many free software options available for various purposes. These can be found through online searches, software review websites, and recommendations from colleagues or friends. Keep in mind that free software may have limited features and may not always be the best fit for your needs.

How do I know if a software is reliable and safe to use?

One way to determine the reliability and safety of a software is to read reviews and ratings from other users. You can also research the company behind the software and look for any security certifications or endorsements. It is also important to only download software from reputable sources to avoid any potential risks.

Can I try a software before purchasing it?

Many software companies offer free trials or demos of their products. This allows you to test the software and its features before making a purchase. It is always recommended to try a software before buying it to ensure it meets your needs and expectations.

What should I consider when looking for software recommendations?

When looking for software recommendations, it is important to consider the specific features you need, the compatibility with your device or platform, the cost, and the reputation of the software and its company. It is also helpful to read reviews and get recommendations from trusted sources.