Testing photoheterotrophic, autotrophic and fermentation of R.rubrum?

In summary, the individual needs to test the growth of R.rubrum bacteria under different conditions: photoheteretrophic, autotrophic, and fermentation. This requires creating anaerobic conditions. For fermentation, the bacteria are placed with fructose in the dark, while for phototrophic and autotrophic, they are placed with fructose and nothing in the light. To obtain quantitative data, the individual could consider using serial dilution and the microspread technique. To create anaerobic conditions, the individual could consider using a GasPak jar or covering the test tubes with oil. However, the individual mentions not having access to a GasPak, so the bacteria were placed in test tubes with sterile water and covered
prime-factor
I need to test photoheteretrophic, autotrophic and fermentation growth of R.rubrum bacteria, all of which require anaerobic conditions. For fermentation, i am placing the bacteria with fructose in the dark, and for phototrophic in the light with fructose, and for autotrophic in the light with nothing. How should I do this to get some quantitative data??

How do I get anaerobic conditions,and how should i test this?, please help :confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
How should I do this to get some quantitative data?
Have you considered serial dilution and http://www2.hendrix.edu/biology/CellWeb/Techniques/microspread.html??
How do I get anaerobic conditions?
Have you considered http://ftp.ccccd.edu/dcain/CCCCD%20Micro/gaspakjar.htm" culture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Unfortunately our school has no equipment such as the GasPak you mentioned :frown:
However :smile:, the bacteria were put in test-tubes filled with sterile water, then covered with oil. Hopefully things will work out.

1. What is the purpose of testing photoheterotrophic, autotrophic and fermentation of R.rubrum?

The purpose of this testing is to determine the metabolic capabilities of R.rubrum, a type of bacteria. By testing its ability to perform photoheterotrophy, autotrophy, and fermentation, we can gain a better understanding of how this organism obtains and utilizes energy.

2. How is photoheterotrophic testing performed on R.rubrum?

Photoheterotrophic testing involves exposing R.rubrum to light in the presence of an organic carbon source, such as glucose. The bacteria should be able to use the light energy to break down the carbon source and produce energy.

3. What does autotrophic testing involve?

Autotrophic testing requires providing R.rubrum with an inorganic carbon source, such as carbon dioxide, and observing its ability to use this source to produce energy through photosynthesis. This type of testing helps determine if the bacteria is capable of sustaining itself through photosynthesis.

4. How is fermentation testing performed on R.rubrum?

Fermentation testing involves providing R.rubrum with a sugar source, such as glucose, and observing if it produces any byproducts, such as alcohol or acid. This type of testing helps determine the bacteria's ability to break down sugars for energy.

5. What are the potential applications of testing R.rubrum's metabolic abilities?

Understanding R.rubrum's metabolic capabilities can have various applications, such as bioremediation, biofuel production, and biotechnology. By understanding how this bacteria obtains and utilizes energy, we can develop more efficient and eco-friendly methods for various industries.