What Are the Demographic Trends for HPV Infections by Age?

• Medical
  • Thread starter John Creighto
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a source for HPV demographics by age and the difficulty in relating the information to the general population. The suggested sources include a study by the College of American Pathologists and a table, but it is unclear how to determine the percentage of the population at high, low, or no risk of HPV. The conversation also addresses a broken link and its resolution.
John Creighto
I'm trying to find a source for the HPV demographics by age.

The best I found was:
The Value of Monitoring Human Papillomavirus DNA Results for Papanicolaou Tests Diagnosed as Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance: A College of American Pathologists Q-Probes Study of 68 Institutions

http://arpa.allenpress.com/archive/1543-2165/131/10/table/i1543-2165-131-10-1525-t08.gif

but I'm not sure how to relates this to the general population. The following table might shed some insight:

http://arpa.allenpress.com/archive/1543-2165/131/10/table/i1543-2165-131-10-1525-t02.gif

but it is of little good to me if I don't know what percentage of the population is high risk and what percentage is low risk. Also what percentage would no risk which isn't tested at all? Also High Risk, does that mean the person is of high risk of having HPV given some indicator or does it mean they have a high risk type of HPV?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
your link appears broken

Proton Soup said:
your link appears broken

I fixed it now. I had to encode the brackets in the URL.

1. What age group is most commonly affected by HPV?

According to recent studies, young adults between the ages of 15-24 have the highest rates of HPV infection. However, it is important to note that HPV can affect individuals of all ages.

2. Is there a difference in HPV prevalence between males and females in different age groups?

Yes, there is a difference in HPV prevalence between males and females. In younger age groups, both males and females have similar rates of HPV infection. However, as individuals get older, females tend to have higher rates of HPV infection due to their reproductive health needs.

3. Are there any specific risk factors for HPV infection in certain age groups?

Yes, there are certain risk factors that can increase an individual's chances of getting HPV, regardless of age. These include having multiple sexual partners, engaging in unprotected sex, and having a weakened immune system.

4. How does HPV prevalence change with age?

The prevalence of HPV tends to decrease as individuals get older. This is due to the fact that our bodies are able to clear the virus over time. However, it is still possible to get HPV at any age through sexual contact with an infected individual.

5. Are there any differences in HPV prevalence between different racial or ethnic groups?

Yes, there are slight differences in HPV prevalence between different racial or ethnic groups. Studies have shown that certain racial and ethnic groups, such as African Americans and Hispanics, have higher rates of HPV infection compared to others. This can be attributed to various factors such as access to healthcare and cultural norms.

Back