Is the Gradient of a Composite Function Always Zero?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a given equation and the attempt at a solution. The suggested approach is to take the gradient of both sides of the equation and use the chain rule to show that they are equal. The speaker also recognizes the components of the equation and uses the notation \nabla to show the desired result. They are unsure how to show the reverse direction of the theorem and request help from others. They also ask for the name of the textbook used.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8175/46521897.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have a starting point, but I'm not 100% sure
Basically I thought of just computing grad(f(α(t)) · dα/dt and showing its equal to zero.

Am I on the right track, or shall I try another approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey tnp, i think you might want to start by taking the gradient of both sides of the original equation: grad(f(α(t)) = grad(c)

as the prove is an "if & only if", you might have to think about whether this proves both directions of the theorem, ie. "if" and "only if"

\cdotok, say I were to take grad of lhs, I need to apply chain rule since f(α(t))

so..

df/dt = (df/dα)(dα/dt)

I recognise (dα/dt) as [tex]\dot{\alpha}[/tex], which leads me to

df/dt = (df/dα)([tex]\dot{\alpha}[/tex])

Also, since [tex]\alpha[/tex] has components [tex]\alpha[/tex]1, [tex]\alpha[/tex]2, [tex]\alpha[/tex]3, ..., [tex]\alpha[/tex]n+1

df/dα = ([tex]\partial[/tex]f/d[tex]\alpha[/tex]1, [tex]\partial[/tex]f/d[tex]\alpha[/tex]2, ...,[tex]\partial[/tex]f/d[tex]\alpha[/tex]n+1) which I recognise is [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(α(t)),

this df/dt = [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(α(t)) [tex]\cdot[/tex] [tex]\dot{\alpha}[/tex] which is what I wanted.

I hope I'm correct up to here and it isn't too messy to show with the latex...o:)

But as you said before, the question states, if and only if, which means I have to show both ways. Puzzled as to how to do the reverse way...

can anybody help please? :P

Could you possibly provide me the name of the textbook?

Regards.

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is formed by combining two or more functions. It is denoted as f(g(x)), where g(x) is the inner function and f(x) is the outer function. The output of the inner function becomes the input of the outer function.

2. How do you find the domain and range of a composite function?

To find the domain of a composite function, you need to consider the domain of the inner function and the restrictions imposed by the outer function. The range of a composite function can be found by evaluating the output of the inner function and considering the restrictions imposed by the outer function.

3. What is the difference between a composite function and a regular function?

A regular function is a stand-alone function that takes an input and produces an output. A composite function, on the other hand, is formed by combining two or more functions, where the output of one function becomes the input of another.

4. Can you simplify a composite function?

Yes, a composite function can be simplified by using algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, and canceling common terms. However, simplifying a composite function may not always be possible or necessary, as the composite function may be more useful in its original form.

5. How can composite functions be used in real-life applications?

Composite functions are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model complex systems and make predictions based on multiple factors. For example, in economics, a cost function can be combined with a demand function to determine the optimal price for a product.