Proving $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$: A Case Study

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
R \nabla_b, since \delta^c{}_b=\delta^b{}_c=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^c} \frac{\partial}{\partial x^b}=\nabla_bSo in summary, we can write the expression \nabla^a R_{ab}=\nabla_c R^c{}_b in terms of the covariant derivative and the Ricci tensor, and use the product rule for derivatives to simplify the expression \frac{1}{2} \nabla^a (R g_{ab})=\frac{1}{2} (g^{ac} \nabla_c R) g_{
latentcorpse
[itex]\nabla_a R_c{}^a + \nabla_b R_c{}^b - \nabla_c R=0[/itex]

can be written as [itex]\nabla^a G_{ab}=0[/itex]

where [itex]G_{ab}=R_{ab} - \frac{1}{2} R g_{ab}[/itex]

now I am trying to work back to prove this is true:

[itex]\nabla^a G_{ab}=\nabla^a R_{ab} - \frac{1}{2} \nabla^a (R g_{ab})[/itex]

now I am stuck, how do i evaluated these derivative operators, do i need to multiply through by some metric such as [itex]g_{ae}[/itex] to lower the a index?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the contravariant derivative? What is the product rule for contravariant/covariant derivatives? What is the definition of [itex]R[/itex]?

R is the scalar curvature which is the trace of the Ricci curvature i.e. [itex]R=R_a{}^a[/itex]

a contravariant derivative is defined by 3.1.14 in Wald where we take [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] to be the contravariant derivative [itex]\nabla^a[/itex] i think (am i ok to just quote eqns out of Wald? i assume from your answer to my other post that you have your own copy?)

one of my main problems here is that as far as i can remember (ive been reading Chapter 3 of Wald) so far I've only come across covariant derivatives. does 3.1.13 not imply that say [itex]\nabla^a[/itex] and [itex]\partial_a[/itex] would act on a type (k,l) tensor to give the same result? how can this be?
or in fact they don't because we use Christoffel symbols for the partial derivative case yes?

anyway how does using 3.1.14 help here because we'll get an answer in terms of [itex]C^c{}_{ab}[/itex] which we don't know anything about?

Last edited:
latentcorpse said:
a contravariant derivative is defined by 3.1.14 in Wald where we take [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] to be the contravariant derivative [itex]\nabla^a[/itex] i think.

No, the [tex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] in 3.1.14 can be any type of deriavtive. In the special case that [tex]\tilde{\nabla_a}=\partial_a[/itex], 3.1.14 defines the usual covariant derivative [itex]\nabla_a[/itex].

A contravariant derivative is simply defined by [itex]\nabla^a=g^{ab}\nabla_b[/itex].

am i ok to just quote eqns out of Wald? i assume from your answer to my other post that you have your own copy?

Well, I don't have my own copy, but I do have easy access to a nice digital Library, so yes; quoting equations from Wald works fine for me.:smile:

oh. ok. i knew that [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] could be any type of derivative but i thought 3.1.14 defined how we got [itex]\nabla_a[/itex] knowing [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] and [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] didn't necessarily have to be [itex]\partial_a[/itex]. in fact when [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}=\partial_a[/itex] doesn't 3.1.15 define how to get the covariant derivative?

ok so i have the defn of R as the trace of Ricci tensor, [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}=g^{ab} \nabla_b[/itex] and the product rule for derivatives is the Leibnitz rule described on p31.
so,
[itex]\nabla^a R_{ab}=g^{ac} \nabla_c R_{ab}=\nabla_c R^c{}_b[/itex]
and,
[itex]\frac{1}{2} \nabla^a (R g_{ab})= \frac{1}{2} ( \nabla^a R) g_{ab} + \frac{1}{2} R \nabla^a g_{ab}=\frac{1}{2} (g^{ac} \nabla_c R) g_{ab} + \frac{1}{2} R g^{ac} \nabla_c g_{ab}[/itex]
how do i proceed? i guess expanding [itex]R=R_d{}^d[/itex] might help but i don't see how the d index will be involved in anything?

latentcorpse said:
oh. ok. i knew that [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] could be any type of derivative but i thought 3.1.14 defined how we got [itex]\nabla_a[/itex] knowing [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] and [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}[/itex] didn't necessarily have to be [itex]\partial_a[/itex]. in fact when [itex]\tilde{\nabla_a}=\partial_a[/itex] doesn't 3.1.15 define how to get the covariant derivative?

3.1.15 is just an application of 3.1.14 for [tex]\tilde{\nabla_a}=\partial_a[/tex] on a contravariant tensor field of rank one. The general definition of the covariant derivative (Remember, the covariant derivative is the derivative operator [itex]\nabla_a[/itex] naturally associated with the metric [itex]\nabla_cg_{ab}=0[/itex]) is 3.1.14 with [tex]\tilde{\nabla_a}=\partial_a[/itex] and [itex]C^a{}_{bc}=\Gamma^a{}_{bc}[/itex].

[itex]\nabla^a R_{ab}=g^{ac} \nabla_c R_{ab}=\nabla_c R^c{}_b[/itex]

You'll want to use the symmetry property of the Ricci tensor before applying the last step.

and,
[itex]\frac{1}{2} \nabla^a (R g_{ab})= \frac{1}{2} ( \nabla^a R) g_{ab} + \frac{1}{2} R \nabla^a g_{ab}=\frac{1}{2} (g^{ac} \nabla_c R) g_{ab} + \frac{1}{2} R g^{ac} \nabla_c g_{ab}[/itex]
how do i proceed? i guess expanding [itex]R=R_d{}^d[/itex] might help but i don't see how the d index will be involved in anything?

What does [itex]\nabla_c g_{ab}[/itex] equal? What does [itex]g^{ab}g_{ac}[/itex] equal?

(i) well the symmetry property is just that [itex]R_{ab}=R_{ba}[/itex] but why do i need to use that? can't i just use the metric to raise the a index on the Ricci tensor? or does the covariant derivatice interfere?

(ii) should i expand [itex]\nabla_c g_{ab}[/itex] using 3.1.14? i couldn't think what to do with this term.

(iii) i know that i get a delta when teh two metrics are next to each other and i was going to do that but again i was afraid the derivatives/tensors in between tehm might cause problems...is it ok to just move the metric about freely in any expression?
if so then that last term would be [itex]\frac{1}{2}R \nabla_c \delta^c{}_b=\frac{1}{2} R \nabla_b[/itex] where i assume [itex]\delta^c{}_b=\delta^b{}_c[/itex] by symmetry of Kronecker delta. but that doesn't look right at all.

sorry. just getting used to working with the maths behind GR is taking a while...

latentcorpse said:
(i) well the symmetry property is just that [itex]R_{ab}=R_{ba}[/itex] but why do i need to use that? can't i just use the metric to raise the a index on the Ricci tensor? or does the covariant derivatice interfere?

There's nothing wrong with what you did in your previous post, its just more useful to you if you use the symmetry condition to get [itex]\nabla^a R_{ab}=g^{ac} \nabla_c R_{ab}=g^{ac} \nabla_c R_{ba}=\nabla_c R_b{}^{c}[/itex] so that the result is the same form as the first two terms in your premise, [itex]\nabla_a R_c{}^a + \nabla_b R_c{}^b - \nabla_c R=0[/itex]

(ii) should i expand [itex]\nabla_c g_{ab}[/itex] using 3.1.14? i couldn't think what to do with this term.

You could, but you'll probably find it easier if you just use equation 3.1.22 instead :wink::biggrin:

(iii) i know that i get a delta when teh two metrics are next to each other and i was going to do that but again i was afraid the derivatives/tensors in between tehm might cause problems...is it ok to just move the metric about freely in any expression?

As long as there are no derivatives or other operators acting on it, you are free to move any tensor around when in component form.

[tex]T^{a_1,a_2,\ldots a_i}{}_{b_1,b_2,\ldots b_j}U^{c_1,c_2,\ldots c_k}{}_{d_1,d_2,\ldots d_l}=U^{c_1,c_2,\ldots c_k}{}_{d_1,d_2,\ldots d_l}T^{a_1,a_2,\ldots a_i}{}_{b_1,b_2,\ldots b_j}[/tex]

for any tensor fields [itex]T[/itex] and [itex]U[/itex], even if [itex]TU\neq UT[/itex], and even if there are repeated indices/implied summations, since each individual component of a tensor field is a scalar field, and scalar fields commute.

if so then that last term would be [itex]\frac{1}{2}R \nabla_c \delta^c{}_b=\frac{1}{2} R \nabla_b[/itex] where i assume [itex]\delta^c{}_b=\delta^b{}_c[/itex] by symmetry of Kronecker delta. but that doesn't look right at all.

sorry. just getting used to working with the maths behind GR is taking a while...

How did [itex]R[/itex] get in front of the derivative operator?

Last edited:
ok. i get the symmetry condition bit and the use of 3.1.22 definitely helps.

why does that TU=UT when in component form even if TU doesn't equal UT when not in component form?

i moved that R in front of the derivative operator in post 5 when i used the product rule for derivative operators (see point 2 on p31 of Wald)

latentcorpse said:
why does that TU=UT when in component form even if TU doesn't equal UT when not in component form?

Because each individual component of a tensor field is a scalar field, and scalar fields commute. You are multiplying some component of some tensor field (which will be a scalar field) with some component of another tensor field (which will also be a scalar field)...That's basic tensor algebra.

i moved that R in front of the derivative operator in post 5 when i used the product rule for derivative operators (see point 2 on p31 of Wald)

Okay, I see now that you were talking about the last term; [itex]\frac{1}{2}Rg^{ac}\nabla_cg_{ab}\neq\frac{1}{2}R\nabla_c (g^{ac}g_{ab})[/itex] since the derivative acts only on [itex]g_{ab}[/itex] in the first expression. However, using [itex]\nabla_cg_{ab}=0[/itex], this term can be easily simplified!

the second term vanishes giving
[itex]\frac{1}{2} (g^{ac} \nabla_c R) g_{ab}[/itex]
hmmm...i assume the covariant derivative acts by product rule to give me 2 terms but i don't see how?
if i make [itex]R=R_d{}^d[/itex] then it still doesn't help

also I am still not quite following the TU=UT thing. surely if you can move it about in component form so that TU=UT then, when not in component form, TU=UT also?

latentcorpse said:

the second term vanishes giving
[itex]\frac{1}{2} (g^{ac} \nabla_c R) g_{ab}[/itex]

Good...

hmmm...i assume the covariant derivative acts by product rule to give me 2 terms but i don't see how?

No, the derivative operator acts only on [itex]R[/itex] in this expression, so [itex]\frac{1}{2} (g^{ac} \nabla_c R) g_{ab}=\frac{1}{2} g_{ab}g^{ac} \nabla_c R=\frac{1}{2}\delta^c_b\nabla_cR=\frac{1}{2}\nabla_b R[/itex]

also I am still not quite following the TU=UT thing. surely if you can move it about in component form so that TU=UT then, when not in component form, TU=UT also?

Let's look at something a little more familiar to you... consider the vector cross product between two Euclidean 3D vector fields [itex]\textbf{u}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{v}[/itex]...In general, [itex]\textbf{u}\times\textbf{v}\neq\textbf{v}\times\textbf{u}[/itex] (The vector cross product is one type of tensor product, so in abstract notation this is equivalent to saying [itex]uv \neq vu[/itex] )... Try a few examples (Like say [itex]\textbf{u}=(2x+3y)\mathbf{\hat{e}_1}-6\mathbf{\hat{e}_2}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{v}=(x-4y)\mathbf{\hat{e}_1}+(6x+2z)\mathbf{\hat{e}_2}-\mathbf{\hat{e}_3}[/itex] where [itex]\{\mathbf{\hat{e}_1},\mathbf{\hat{e}_2},\mathbf{\hat{e}_3}\}[/itex] are the usual Cartesian unit vectors) and convince that yourself despite this, [itex]u_iv_j=v_ju_i[/itex] for all [itex]i,j\in\{1,2,3\}[/itex]...

Last edited:
ok so i have

[itex]\frac{1}{2} \nabla_b R=\frac{1}{2} \nabla_b R_c{}^c=...[/itex]

i assume I am meant to use 3.1.14 here.

doesn't that delta raise the b index also?

latentcorpse said:
ok so i have

[itex]\frac{1}{2} \nabla_b R=\frac{1}{2} \nabla_b R_c{}^c=...[/itex]

While this is true; it's unessecary...your equation is now

[itex]\nabla^a G_{ab}=\nabla_c R_b{}^{c}-\frac{1}{2} \nabla_b R[/itex]

Multiply the whole thing by two, and use the fact that [itex]2\nabla_c R_b{}^{c}=\nabla_c R_b{}^{c}+\nabla_c R_b{}^{c}=\nabla_a R_b{}^{a}+\nabla_c R_b{}^{c}[/itex] since [itex]c[/itex] is a dummy index...now compare to your premise...

ok so

[itex]\nabla^a G_{ab} = \nabla_a R_b{}^a + \nabla_c R_b{}^c - \nabla_b R[/itex]

not quite the same. is it to do with relabelling the indices now?
if i relabel [itex]b \stackrel{\leftrightarrow}{} c[/itex]

then [itex]\nabla_a R_c{}^a + \nabla_b R_c{}^b - \nabla_c R[/itex]

is that ok?

Yup!:approve:

1. What is the significance of proving $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$?

The equation $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$ is known as the Bianchi identity and is a fundamental condition in general relativity. It ensures the consistency and validity of Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between matter and spacetime.

2. What is the process for proving $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$?

The process for proving $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$ involves using mathematical techniques and formulas to manipulate and simplify the equations that describe the curvature of spacetime. This can include using tensor calculus, differential geometry, and other mathematical tools.

3. What is the historical background of the study of $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$?

The study of $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$ has a rich history, dating back to the early 20th century when Einstein first introduced his theory of general relativity. Since then, many scientists have worked to understand and prove this equation, including mathematicians like Elie Cartan and physicists like Richard Feynman.

4. What are the practical applications of proving $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$?

Proving $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$ has important implications for our understanding of the universe and has led to many advancements in theoretical physics and cosmology. It also has practical applications in areas like astrophysics, where the equations of general relativity are used to study the behavior of objects in the cosmos.

5. What are some challenges in proving $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$?

Proving $\nabla^a G_{ab}=0$ is a complex and ongoing endeavor, and there are many challenges involved. These can include the difficulty of working with high-level mathematical concepts, the complexity of the equations themselves, and the need for advanced computational techniques to solve them.