What caused the sudden loss of breath after a fall?

• Medical
  • Thread starter rapidstart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, the speaker describes a past experience of falling from a height and stopping breathing for about 10 seconds. They wonder what caused the sudden lack of air and consider possibilities such as a squashed windpipe or collapsed lungs. Another person relates to the experience and suggests that a spasm of the diaphragm may have been the cause.
rapidstart
Some years ago i fell from a height to the ground (around 10 feet), right on my back and stopped breathing for some 10 seconds. A sudden complete cut off. I am curious what stopped the air. Either the windpipe was squashed by the ribcage, or was temporary stifled from the very impact without having been squashed by anything, or lungs temporarily collapsed or deflated (not sure whether these are the right words to describe it) and blocked the air from filling up? That was a sudden complete cut off.

Biology news on Phys.org
Yep. You got the wind knocked out of you.

Had it happen to me several times.

Spasm of the diaphragm sounds about right.

1. What could be the cause of not being able to breathe after a fall?

There could be several causes for difficulty breathing after a fall. It could be due to a direct impact to the chest, causing trauma to the lungs or ribs. It could also be a result of a spinal cord injury, which can affect the muscles involved in breathing. In some cases, the person may also experience a panic attack or shock, which can make breathing difficult.

2. How serious is not being able to breathe after a fall?

Difficulty breathing after a fall should be taken seriously, as it can be a sign of a serious injury or condition. It is important to seek medical attention immediately to determine the cause and receive appropriate treatment.

3. What should I do if someone can't breathe after a fall?

If someone is having difficulty breathing after a fall, the first step is to call for emergency medical assistance. While waiting for help to arrive, you can try to keep the person calm and in a comfortable position. If the person is unresponsive and not breathing, begin performing CPR until help arrives.

4. Can difficulty breathing after a fall be prevented?

In some cases, difficulty breathing after a fall can be prevented by taking safety precautions, such as using proper equipment when engaging in physical activities, avoiding risky behaviors, and wearing a seatbelt while driving. However, accidents can still happen, and it is important to seek medical attention immediately if you experience difficulty breathing after a fall.

5. What can be done to help with breathing difficulties after a fall?

The treatment for difficulty breathing after a fall depends on the underlying cause. If it is a result of a physical injury, such as a rib fracture, the doctor may prescribe pain medication and advise rest. If it is due to a more serious condition, such as a spinal cord injury, the person may need surgery or other medical interventions. In some cases, respiratory support, such as oxygen therapy, may also be necessary to help with breathing difficulties.