Question Regarding Bubble in Kerosene Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an air bubble rising in an open kerosene tank. The volume of the bubble increases at the top, and the atmospheric pressure and weight of mercury are given. The discussion suggests using Boyle's Law and the relationship between the weights of kerosene and mercury to find the pressure at the bottom of the tank and the height of the tank. The concept of mercuric barometers is also briefly explained.
modulus
1. The problem.
Okay, here's the question:
'An air bubble situated at the bottom of an open kerosene tank rises to the top surface. It is observed that at the top, the volume of the bubble is thrice it's initial volume. If the atmospheric pressure is 72cm of Hg, and mercury is 17 times heavier than kerosene, then what is the depth of the tank?'

2. Homework Equations .
As far as I think, we'll be using Boyle's Law:
P'V'=P''V''
Pressure=Density(of Kerosene)*gravitational acceleration*depth(to where the bubble is)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, it says that at the top, the volume of the bubble triples, so the pressure must become one-by-three of the initial(and I think we're supposed to consider the pressure exerted by the kerosene on the bubble). But, I don't understand how we're supposed to use the relation between the weights of kerosene an mercury to find the the pressure exerted by kerosene. A;so, what do they mean by '72 cm of Hg'...I've never really understood the concept of mercuric barometers.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you can use the first formula to find the pressure at the bottom of the tank. The second can then be used to find the height.
There is a pressure unit conversion table here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure#Units

modulus said:
If the atmospheric pressure is 72cm of Hg, and mercury is 17 times heavier than kerosene …

P'V'=P''V''
Pressure=Density(of Kerosene)*gravitational acceleration*depth(to where the bubble is)

But, I don't understand how we're supposed to use the relation between the weights of kerosene an mercury to find the the pressure exerted by kerosene. A;so, what do they mean by '72 cm of Hg'...I've never really understood the concept of mercuric barometers.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi modulus! :smile:

As you say, pressure = ρkerosenegh.

They give you ρkeroseneHg, and "72cm of Hg" means the pressure at a depth of 72cm below the surface in Hg. :wink:

Yeess! I got it!
You guys have no clue how easy you've made this for me!
Thanks a lot!

What causes bubbles to form in a kerosene tank?

Bubbles in a kerosene tank are typically caused by air or water vapor entering the tank and mixing with the kerosene. This can happen during transportation or due to changes in temperature or pressure.

Are bubbles in a kerosene tank dangerous?

In most cases, bubbles in a kerosene tank are not dangerous. However, they can indicate that there is a leak in the tank or that the kerosene has been contaminated with water or other substances. It is important to monitor and address any changes in the tank to prevent potential hazards.

How can I get rid of bubbles in my kerosene tank?

If the bubbles are caused by air or water vapor, they will typically dissipate on their own over time. However, if the bubbles are persistent, it may be necessary to drain and refill the tank with fresh kerosene. If the bubbles are caused by a leak or contamination, it is important to address the underlying issue before refilling the tank.

Can bubbles in a kerosene tank affect the performance of the fuel?

Bubbles in a kerosene tank may not directly affect the performance of the fuel, but they can indicate that the kerosene has been contaminated. This can lead to clogging of filters and damage to the fuel system, which can ultimately impact the performance of the fuel.

How can I prevent bubbles from forming in my kerosene tank?

To prevent bubbles from forming in a kerosene tank, it is important to properly seal the tank and regularly check for any leaks. It is also recommended to store the tank in a cool and stable environment to minimize changes in temperature and pressure. Additionally, using high-quality kerosene can help prevent contamination and the formation of bubbles.