Tight binding model, help please

In summary, the tight binding model includes the equation E=Eo + alpha + (2gamma coska). As the lattice spacing, a, increases, the parameters alpha and gamma are affected. The equations for gamma and alpha involve integrals and cannot be included in this forum. However, it is observed that as a increases, gamma increases and alpha decreases. This is due to the higher values of sin(k_r*a) and r* in the integral for gamma, and the lower values in the integral for alpha. The reason for this effect is of interest and further explanation is requested. This is not a homework help question, but rather a query for understanding in preparation for a solid state physics exam.
jiimmy1

Homework Statement

In the tight binding model, (E=Eo + alpha + (2gamma coska)), how are parameters alpha and gamma affected if the lattice spacing, a, is increased?

I know the equations for gamma and alpha but can't type them in here because they involve integrals and I don't know how to put those in on this forum.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, didn't realize how the forums worked, so posted in this area instead. Its taking far too long to figure out how to post the equations in latex on here so i apologise but this isn't technically homework help. My final year solid state physics 2 exam is tomorrow and this wasn't in our notes but is in the revision questions handed out so please don't delete this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsGamma = (2t/h-bar)int(0 to 1) dr r*sin(k_r*a)Alpha = -2t/h-bar int(0 to 1) dr r*cos(k_r*a)The Attempt at a SolutionI think gamma will increase and alpha will decrease as the lattice spacing increases. I think this because if a increases, the integral for gamma will be greater due to the higher values of both sin(k_r*a) and r*, and the integral for alpha will be smaller for the same reason. I'm more interested in why this is the case than just the answer though. Can someone explain why increasing the lattice spacing affects gamma and alpha the way it does? Thanks again!

1. What is the Tight Binding Model?

The Tight Binding Model is a mathematical model used in condensed matter physics to describe the electronic structure of solids. It is based on the idea that the electrons in a solid are localized around the atomic nuclei and only interact with the neighboring atoms.

2. How does the Tight Binding Model work?

The Tight Binding Model works by considering the Hamiltonian of the system, which includes the kinetic energy of the electrons and the potential energy from the nuclei and electrons. It uses the concept of atomic orbitals and their overlap to calculate the energy levels of the electrons in the solid.

3. What are the advantages of using the Tight Binding Model?

The Tight Binding Model is advantageous because it takes into account the crystal structure of the solid, which can affect the electronic properties. It also allows for the calculation of electronic properties, such as band structure and density of states, with relatively simple mathematical equations.

4. What are the limitations of the Tight Binding Model?

The Tight Binding Model has limitations in its accuracy, as it does not fully consider the effects of electron-electron interactions and other factors such as defects and disorder in the solid. It also requires a large number of parameters to be determined, which can be time-consuming and may not accurately reflect the true behavior of a real material.

5. How is the Tight Binding Model used in research?

The Tight Binding Model is used in a variety of research areas, including the study of electronic properties of materials, such as semiconductors and metals, and the calculation of electronic and optical properties of nanoscale materials. It is also used in the development and design of novel materials for specific applications.