Charge Conjugate Dirac Field

In summary, Halzen and Martin's section 5.4 states that the current density 4 vector is equal to the complex conjugate of the psi-bar.
maverick280857
Hi,

I'm trying to work my way through Halzen and Martin's section 5.4. I'd appreciate if someone could answer the following question:

How does

[tex]j^{\mu}_{C} = -e\psi^{T}(\gamma^{\mu})^{T}\overline{\psi}^{T}[/tex]

become

[tex]j^{\mu}_{C} = -(-)e\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi[/tex]

? Is there some identity I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

-Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

transpose the entire thing, then use the fact that the psi-bar contains a gamma_0 matrix

ansgar said:
transpose the entire thing, then use the fact that the psi-bar contains a gamma_0 matrix

Why? If I transpose the entire thing, I get the next line without a minus sign. But why do I transpose? Not sure I follow you..

ok I can get this:

[tex]
-e\psi^T\gamma^0{\gamma^{\mu}}^*\psi^*
[/tex]

so performing a complex conjugation one gets

[tex]
{j_C^{\mu}}^* -e\overline{\psi}{\gamma^{\mu}}\psi
[/tex]

Last edited:
ansgar said:
ok I can get this:

[tex]
-e\psi^T\gamma^0{\gamma^{\mu}}^*\psi^*
[/tex]

so performing a complex conjugation one gets

[tex]
{j_C^{\mu}}^* -e\overline{\psi}{\gamma^{\mu}}\psi
[/tex]

I don't think you understand my question here. The two expressions are equal. But are you asking me to transform one to the other by performing a transpose followed by a complex conjugation (in other words asking me to take the Hermitian adjoint)? That is, to prove A = B, I should take the Hermitian adjoint of A and find it to be equal to B. Is that what you're saying?

(Do you intend to utilize the fact that the current density 4 vector is real? If so, we should merely be taking the complex conjugate.)

can you just for completeness write down the four current and the C- transformation?

there are a couple of conventions out there you know..

ok if you go to peskin page 70, if you have it then you can work it you I think, with Halzens definitions I have no clue sorry

the current is a spinor scalar, it has no spinor indecies, so do a transpose in spinor space and use that the \psi's anticommute.

1. What is a charge conjugate Dirac field?

A charge conjugate Dirac field is a mathematical representation of a quantum field, specifically a fermion field, that describes particles and antiparticles. It is a complex field that allows for the description of particles with both positive and negative charge.

2. What is the significance of charge conjugate in the Dirac equation?

The charge conjugate in the Dirac equation allows for the description of both particles and antiparticles in the same equation. This is important in quantum field theory as it allows for the conservation of charge, as particle-antiparticle pairs have opposite charges that cancel out.

3. How does the charge conjugate Dirac field differ from the standard Dirac field?

The charge conjugate Dirac field differs from the standard Dirac field in that it includes a new term that allows for the description of antiparticles. This term is known as the charge conjugate field and has the opposite charge and spin of the standard Dirac field.

4. What is the role of the charge conjugate field in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The charge conjugate field is an essential component of the Standard Model of particle physics. It allows for the description of all known particles and their antiparticles, as well as the conservation of charge, which is a fundamental principle in the Standard Model.

5. How is the charge conjugate Dirac field experimentally verified?

The charge conjugate Dirac field has been experimentally verified through various high-energy particle physics experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider. These experiments have observed the creation and annihilation of particle-antiparticle pairs, providing evidence for the existence of the charge conjugate field in nature.