Removing heat energy from a block of ice

In summary: If the problem asks for a specific number of significant digits, you need to keep those in mind when you round.In summary, to cool a 4.50 cm x 4.30cm x 6.20cm block of ice from 0C to -31.0C, 7285.5 joules of energy must be removed. This can be found using the formula Q = Mc(T_f-T_i), where M is the density*volume, and the heat capacity of ice is 2180 kg/m^3.
hover

Homework Statement

How much energy must be removed from a 4.50 cm x 4.30cm x 6.20cm block of ice to cool it from 0C to -31.0C?

The density of ice is 920 kg/m^3. You might need to refer to the textbook for other physical constants of ice.

Homework Equations

Q = Mc(T_f-T_i)

heat energy = mass*heat capacity * change in temp

M = Density*volume

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = Mc(T_f-T_i) = DVc(T_f-T_i)

Q = (920)(.045*.042*.062)(2180)(-31-0)= -7285.5 joules

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question you wish to ask?

Are you saying that this is right?

I am asking you if you wish to ask a question because your original posting does not include one. If you do, please ask and I (we) will do my (our) best to answer it.

Don't you need to know how much heat you need to pull out of it? Doesn't the method I have listed do that? It finds the heat energy removed doesn't it?

Yes, yes and yes. However, if this is an answer that you need to put in a computerized homework system, you need to understand the sign conventions.

If the question asks to find "the heat that goes in" and the number is negative, that means that heat actually goes out. In this case, the question is to find the heat that goes out, therefore a positive number is in order.

So its just 7285.5 joules then?

That would appear to be the case, but I am not the program that makes the decision whether you are right or wrong.

1. How does heat energy affect a block of ice?

Heat energy is what causes ice to melt and turn into water. When heat is applied to a block of ice, the molecules in the ice start to vibrate and move faster, causing the ice to melt and turn into liquid water.

2. What methods can be used to remove heat energy from a block of ice?

There are several methods that can be used to remove heat energy from a block of ice. These include using a refrigerant or coolant, such as dry ice or liquid nitrogen, applying pressure to the ice, or using a heat sink to absorb the heat energy.

3. How does using a refrigerant or coolant cool down a block of ice?

A refrigerant or coolant works by absorbing heat energy from the surrounding environment and transferring it to the ice. This causes the molecules in the ice to slow down and the temperature to decrease, resulting in the ice becoming colder.

4. Can pressure be used to remove heat energy from a block of ice?

Yes, pressure can be used to remove heat energy from a block of ice. When pressure is applied to ice, the molecules are forced closer together, causing them to move slower and decreasing the temperature of the ice.

5. What is a heat sink and how does it remove heat energy from a block of ice?

A heat sink is a material that is used to absorb and dissipate heat energy. When placed in contact with a block of ice, the heat sink absorbs the heat energy from the ice, causing it to cool down. This process can be repeated multiple times to continuously remove heat energy from the ice.