Python Tutorial for Beginners With Little Programming Knowledge

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with Python and their search for a good intermediate tutorial. They mention their basic understanding of boolean, I/O, functions, classes, and module importing. The speaker also expresses interest in learning about the C wrapper in the standard library. Another person suggests looking into devshed.com and diveintopython.org for tutorials and recommends playing around with ctypes by using them.
zakbrown0308
I've been working with python for about 4 or five months. I understand how to use boolean, a little bit of I/O, making functions, writing my own classes, and importing modules. Pretty much the bare basics. Outside of this python experience, I have little knowledge of programming. So, can anyone recommend a good, intermediate tutorial for python? Particularly about using that C wrapper in the standard library.

Technology news on Phys.org
Personally you might want to migrate to php, but my personal bias.

Check out devshed.com. it is a great resource for all software development languages and really good tutorials.

http://diveintopython.org/ is good for general stuff. Have you already looked through the ctypes documentation? http://docs.python.org/library/ctypes.html
There're also some examples at http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Ctypes
I also suggest just diving write into ctypes by using them. Write your .c file, then open up ipython and play around with the library.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would recommend continuing to practice and build upon your current knowledge of Python before diving into more advanced concepts like using the C wrapper in the standard library. It is important to have a strong foundation in the basics before moving on to more complex topics. I would suggest exploring online resources and tutorials that focus on intermediate Python concepts, such as data structures, control flow, and error handling. Additionally, consider working on small projects to apply your knowledge and gain hands-on experience. This will help solidify your understanding and prepare you for more advanced tutorials. As always, don't be afraid to ask for help from more experienced programmers and continue to practice and learn at your own pace.

1. What is Python and why is it preferred for beginners?

Python is a high-level, interpreted programming language that is widely used in various fields such as web development, scientific computing, data analysis, and artificial intelligence. It is preferred for beginners due to its simple and easy-to-learn syntax, which allows new programmers to quickly grasp the basics of coding and focus on problem-solving rather than worrying about complex syntax rules.

2. Do I need any prior programming knowledge to learn Python?

No, you do not need any prior programming knowledge to learn Python. It is designed to be beginner-friendly and can be easily understood by anyone with little or no programming experience. However, having a basic understanding of computer science concepts and logical thinking can help in understanding the language better.

3. What are the important concepts to cover in a Python tutorial for beginners?

Some important concepts to cover in a Python tutorial for beginners include data types, variables, control structures, functions, loops, and file handling. It is also important to learn how to use external libraries and modules, as they can greatly expand the capabilities of Python.

4. Can I use Python for real-world projects?

Yes, Python is widely used in various industries for real-world projects. It is particularly popular in fields such as web development, data analysis, and machine learning. Its flexibility, readability, and large community support make it a great choice for building practical applications.

5. Are there any free resources available for learning Python?

Yes, there are plenty of free resources available for learning Python. These include online tutorials, YouTube videos, interactive coding platforms, and open-source books. The official Python website also offers a comprehensive tutorial and documentation for beginners.