Solve Heating Water Problem: 100-W Electric Heater

In summary: I hope you will not mind me giving some advice. Thanks!In summary, the electric heater will take 80 seconds to bring a quart of water to a boil from room temperature 20 degrees Celsius.
SpatialVacancy
Hello all,

I do not know how to solve this proble and was wondering if you could offer some guidance.

Question:
How long after it is turned on will a 100-W electric
heater take to bring a quart of water to a boil from room
temperature 20 deg C?

Here's what I know:
[tex]T_i=20[/tex]
[tex]T_f=100[/tex]
[tex]\Delta T=80[/tex]

[tex]100W = \frac{100J}{1s}[/tex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm don't know what a quart is. However, I do know the specific heat capacity of water which is 4180J/kgK. This means that for every kilogram of water, 4180 joules of energy is needed to raise the temperature by 1 Kelvin or 1 degree celsius.

The key to this problem is knowing how much the temperature of water increases when a certain amount of heat is added. This is basically the definition of the specific heat:

[tex]c = \frac{1}{V}\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta T} \Rightarrow \Delta Q = cV\Delta T[/tex]

where [tex]c[/tex] is the specific heat and [tex]V[/tex] is the volume of the substance, in this case water. This equation is what you need to solve the problem. However, you are not told anything about the added heat. You are given information about the heater power. Assuming that all of the power goes into heating the water we can write:

[tex]P = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t}=cV\frac{\Delta T}{\Delta t}[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta t[/tex] is the time it takes to add the amount of heat [tex]\Delta Q[/tex]. Just solve for [tex]\Delta t[/tex].

BLaH! said:
The key to this problem is knowing how much the temperature of water increases when a certain amount of heat is added. This is basically the definition of the specific heat:

[tex]c = \frac{1}{V}\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta T} \Rightarrow \Delta Q = cV\Delta T[/tex]

where [tex]c[/tex] is the specific heat and [tex]V[/tex] is the volume of the substance, in this case water. This equation is what you need to solve the problem. However, you are not told anything about the added heat. You are given information about the heater power. Assuming that all of the power goes into heating the water we can write:

[tex]P = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t}=cV\frac{\Delta T}{\Delta t}[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta t[/tex] is the time it takes to add the amount of heat [tex]\Delta Q[/tex]. Just solve for [tex]\Delta t[/tex].

I think c has units of (J/m^3*K) for you. It is not the usual definition of the specific heat which is always written in term of masses (J/KgK). Anyway you have solved very good the problem indeed, in my opinion.

If you want and advice never write again [tex]\Delta Q[/tex]. The "increment" or "variation" of heat has none physical meaning. It has no sense. The heat does not vary. A body does not have any heat itself. So that no variation is possible. Instead of it, write simply [tex] Q[/tex] or [tex]\delta Q[/tex] (inexact differential) when you talk about heat.

It was only a some clearings, in my opinion your solution sounds very good.

1. How long will it take for the 100-W electric heater to heat water?

The time it takes for the 100-W electric heater to heat water will depend on several factors such as the initial temperature of the water, the volume of water, and the efficiency of the heater. Generally, it can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes for the water to reach its desired temperature.

2. What is the maximum temperature that the 100-W electric heater can reach?

The maximum temperature that the 100-W electric heater can reach will also depend on the initial temperature and volume of water. However, it is important to note that most electric heaters have a maximum temperature of 140-150 degrees Fahrenheit for safety reasons.

3. Can the 100-W electric heater be used to heat large volumes of water?

The 100-W electric heater is not designed to heat large volumes of water. It is best suited for smaller volumes such as a cup or two of water. If you need to heat a larger volume, it is recommended to use a higher wattage heater or multiple 100-W electric heaters.

4. How does the 100-W electric heater heat water?

The 100-W electric heater uses electricity to heat a metal element inside the heater. This element then transfers the heat to the water through conduction, causing the water to heat up.

5. Is it safe to leave the 100-W electric heater unattended while heating water?

It is not recommended to leave any electric heater unattended while in use. It is important to monitor the heater and turn it off once the water has reached the desired temperature to prevent any accidents or damage.